News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 09:25:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: i need help replacin my transmission front seal  (Read 1908 times)

Offline pigonawing

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
i need help replacin my transmission front seal
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:51:11 PM »
If there is anyone out there that has replaced the tranny front seal that can give me some tips for removing and replacing the seal i need the help. i have never done this be4 and realy do not wanna put it all back together just find out i did it wrong.

thanks

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: i need help replacin my transmission front seal
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 03:00:01 PM »
To remove the old seal I drilled a screw into it and pulled it out with vice grips and a slide hammer.

To install a new one I fumbled around, got a clamp, a large socket and a mallet to pound the seal into place. If you're just concerned about the seal, that's great. I had to do a complete overhaul last week and it's so simple that a 12 year old downsgirl could do this without trouble. If you ever have to do a complete overhaul, be glad it's a simple transmission and not some huge overcomplicated mess with a fragile wiring harness at every corner of the valve body.

Good luck with the seal. I'm going to be spending today trying to reinstall my transmission. I have trouble clearing the exhaust lines.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator