News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 24, 2024, 08:55:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: power to manual windows conversion?  (Read 2242 times)

Offline darjeeling

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
power to manual windows conversion?
« on: December 13, 2011, 04:36:29 PM »
Has anyone ever converted power windows to manual?  I'm really hoping that there's a simple way the stock parts bolt in and all you have to do is cut a hole for the lever. 

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
Re: power to manual windows conversion?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 11:42:09 PM »
Nothing is bolted in. It's all rivited in place so you'll have to do some griding to swap the systems. 
1957 Nash Rambler
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr
1965 Rambler Classic Wagon              NON-AMC
1966 Rambler Classic Wagon              1981 MAZDA 626 (RWD)
1972 AMC Ambassador Wagon           1991 MAZDA MX5
1981 AMC Concord Wagon                1978 Dodge Magnum XE
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd           Yes I have a few toys..........

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 08:40:45 AM »
Probably easier and less hastle in the long run to find a set of manual window doors w/ pannels. 
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
If I remember correctly, there are 4 rivets holding the window regulator in which I ground off with a cut off wheel.  the window is bolted to the regulator with 3 screws.  2 of the 3 of mine came out with no problems.  On the third one the nut on the back side of the window was turning with the screw so we struggled and struggled to get a crescent wrench on the nut on the back side of the window so we could turn the screw out.  We eventually got it but it was a big hassle.  The rivets to hold the regulator in are quite large so you'll likely have to go to a body shop to get them.  Swapping a whole door would be much easier, but then you'd have to paint, find the right colour interior panel and if the regulator is stiff (likely) it would still be desirable to remove it, wash it with solvent, and regrease it for smoother operation.  If the regulator is removed you'll also have to spend some time adjusting it to get the window to raise in the proper alignment, a TSM points out how to do this but I could probably guide you through it as well.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 01:08:16 PM »
Ca I ask the question "why?"  Is there a problem w/ the power window(s)?  Might be easier and cheaper to repair them. 
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk