News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 03, 2024, 06:43:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paint or dye options for interior  (Read 4023 times)

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
Paint or dye options for interior
« on: March 01, 2011, 04:01:43 PM »
In the process of fixing and updating the interior I'm at a junction, try to maintain the original color and figure out where to get paint/dye to color any replacement parts as well as some of the original faded parts OR pull it all out and just recolor everything.

With the OD exterior theme, a black interior would look more appropriate and be doable, just time consuming.  But finding anything even close in color to the Nutmeg or Carmel color of the original has been impossible. 

If I recolor, I'm talking about redoing seats, door panels, all plastic trim, metal painted trim, dash, etc.  I don't have any carpet so I can order whatever I decide and I'll leave the headliner alone until it needs replacing. 

Anyone had any good experiences with any particular products that they can recommend?
1957 Nash Rambler
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr
1965 Rambler Classic Wagon              NON-AMC
1966 Rambler Classic Wagon              1981 MAZDA 626 (RWD)
1972 AMC Ambassador Wagon           1991 MAZDA MX5
1981 AMC Concord Wagon                1978 Dodge Magnum XE
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd           Yes I have a few toys..........

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
Re: Paint or dye options for interior
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 04:41:18 PM »
SEM seems to be the product of choice around here. 
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline mg74se

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 10:15:13 PM »
While I normally do not recommend DuPont products, I have used DuPont's vinyl dye with great success. It was very easy to spray on, granted I was using a paint gun. It flowed evenly, and has held up for years. Granted alot of that has to do with correct surface prep as well.

Offline nwamcsx

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 10:16:11 AM »
I repainted most of my interior plastic.  I got a color close but not an exact match.  Places that are prone to getting hit do not hold up well.  The paint chips or scratches off and then I have to redo that panel.  So I would try to keep as close to the original color as possible.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 11:57:15 AM »
Here's what I used for my interior plastic pieces:

http://www.dyeandpaint.com/Details.asp?productid=VARIBOND

If you buy a quart (which you'll probably need to do the whole interior) they'll colour match it for you.  You just send them a 2" by 2" swatch of the colour you want and they'll mix it up for you.  I did this and the colour match was exactly right.  I also specified to add a flatener to give a matte finish so the pieces would match the originals rather than being shiny.  This will work on your vinyl door panels as well.  I thought it was a bit pricey at $100 a quart, but I'm very pleased with it.  They claim it actually soaks into the plastic so it won't scratch or chip off.  I haven't put any use on my pieces so I can't verify that.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 11:59:06 AM by priya »

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 03:37:38 PM »
I"ve used Kylon plastic rattle cans for other projects.  When prepped correctly you can't scrape it off.  The problem I'm having with the Eagle is finding a color even close to the Nutmeg/Caramel shade of brown. 

A regular enamel won't bond properly to plastics or vinyl and will come off easily. 

1957 Nash Rambler
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr
1965 Rambler Classic Wagon              NON-AMC
1966 Rambler Classic Wagon              1981 MAZDA 626 (RWD)
1972 AMC Ambassador Wagon           1991 MAZDA MX5
1981 AMC Concord Wagon                1978 Dodge Magnum XE
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd           Yes I have a few toys..........

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 04:41:56 PM »
             HI  If you like the brown stick with it .but I have got one black one blue white one dark brown white. I like the black the best .door panels header carpet ane the back is black .ever thing in side the car is black.and it looks factory.I have never seen one like it . IT looks like  perforated leather.This is a wagon not an sx.    It has 50-50 seats in front..I know I-E-  said they did not make black leather maybe one got through ..... :amc:....Don
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 11:13:10 PM by teneagle »
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline wagonmaster

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 08:50:51 PM »
i would really like to see pics of that teneagle.

Offline eagle4570

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 12:39:28 AM »
i painted the trim in my eagle i sanded the pieces a little then i used a few coats of primer, red paint, then some clean coat, so fast so good,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk