News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 06:31:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anybody buy a torque converter lately?  (Read 3773 times)

Offline DarthGremlin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Anybody buy a torque converter lately?
« on: July 10, 2011, 05:41:24 PM »
I need one soon.  Advance tells me they can't get one (even though they do list the part...they say none available).  Anybody get one somewhere recently?  Decent price?

Let me know...

Patrick        Palmyra, VA
1984 AMC Eagle Limited
2017 Jeep Renegade Altitude
1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself"- Han Solo

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 50
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
Re: Anybody buy a torque converter lately?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 07:10:46 PM »
the only places i've seen that can get new ones are transmission shops.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 11:22:19 PM »
I got one recently from my former employer for around $120 for a lock-up

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 12:44:32 AM »
I got a rebuilt one shipped from Cali. to NY for like $120 , haven't had any issues. I think it was Tourque Converters dot com ??

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 01:23:33 AM »
Autozone has them listed on their website for $120, not sure of the brand quality though.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline DarthGremlin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 09:30:03 PM »
Okay...I have heard you really want to go with a new torque converter, but I had a local AMC friend offer me gently used one for free.

It came out of an '81 Concord and had been replaced fairly recently.  Autozone lists the '81 Concord and '84 Eagle torque converters as the same part number.  Assuming it is in good working order, would this work in my car?

What should I be looking for or worried about?
Patrick        Palmyra, VA
1984 AMC Eagle Limited
2017 Jeep Renegade Altitude
1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself"- Han Solo

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 10:27:33 AM »
I'm not sure of the exact years on everything, and AMC did like to move parts around and not tell anyone, but you just need to make both transmissions are either lockup or non-lockup.

They'll have different input shafts, and you can't exchange a lockup for a non-lockup. Beyond that, Eagles were high stall or low stall, marked right on the torque converter. You may want to make a note of that, but all it will do is affect your acceleration a bit not your function.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk