News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 12:27:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Automatic Transmission Drag  (Read 2604 times)

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
Automatic Transmission Drag
« on: June 30, 2011, 10:27:03 AM »
I have a 3spd auto with the lockup torque converter in my Eagle and was wondering if there is a way to fix the engine drag I am experiencing. In all three gears, if you let off the gas, the engine free wheels just fine and drops speed, but once the torque converter locks up and you let your foot off the gas, it holds the engine to speed as it coasts down. Is there any adjustment to eliminate this?

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
Re: Automatic Transmission Drag
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:45:55 AM »
That sounds kind of like normal operation of an automatic transmission to me. They do not coast like a manual transmission car does when you let off the gas and hold in the clutch or shift into neutral. Any automatic trans car will have a bit of engine braking when you let off the gas, just like letting off the gas in a manual trans car and leaving it in gear. There is some slipping allowed by the auto trans torque converter, but not enough to allow for the engine to go to idle while the car coasts along.

If your torque converter is remaining locked up too long and making it difficult to stop the car without stalling the engine, then there probably is some sort of adjustment that can be made - look into it in a factory service manual.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 01:31:56 PM »
You should check your kickdown. There needs to be a spring attached, and the adjustment should keep throttle pressure off the rod at idle. It's probably bone-dry too.

The lockup should disengage when you take your foot off the gas and reengage as you put your foot back on, and the kickdown controls that.

You're not idling really high, are you?
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 06:14:50 PM »
Fresh fluid, everything is great with the tranny.  I know it is suppose to drag, but I also know enough that the lock-up is suppose to un-lock when you release the pedal, and that is not happening.  So when going 55 at 2k rpm and I let off the gas, instead of dropping to around 1.6k rpm, it stays at 2k rpm as it gradualy slows the vehicle down.  Being how rare these transmission are, I didn't know if there was a solenoid or band adjustment that could be made to right that issue.  Neither of the transmissions I had in my AMC's had springs on the throttle control rod though, I'll have to try putting one on and see if that cures my whoes, will definitely help me on some gas mileage and reduce my brake wear a bit  having that fixed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk