News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 04:46:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Replaced transfer case-Now shifter won't move out of park?  (Read 2648 times)

Offline DarthGremlin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
I debated as tho whether this is a transmission or transfer case forum topic, and decided to try here...

Long story short, I just finished replacing my 129 transfer case.  I have a1984 wagon, 258, TF998 auto trans.

Along the way, I did run into a snag with removing the bolts from the shift motor bracket, so, rather than hack away on it, I decided to install the t-case and adapter as one unit.

Everything seemed to go back together as it should.  It was very difficult to do by myself, but I have a shop manual, and had gotten good advice along the way...no leftover parts=success!

After all was buttoned back up, I started the car, and went to back out of the garage.  Uh oh...

Auto shifter would not move into any gear. 

Since I had separated the adapter from the trans, I am concerned that the problem may be in the parking lock assembly.  There is a pin that comes out of the trans and goes into a housing on the adapter that probably has to go in just so. Having never done this before, and having chosen probably the hardest way to do this, I fear that I may have messed this up.  Although, again, there wasn't much trouble getting everything to fit back together.  How should this go back together?

Anybody ever do this?  Does this sound like it might be the culprit?  Other ideas about why the car will not go into gear?

Any answers that don't involve me having to take apart everything I just put together are especially appreciated :)

Patrick        Palmyra, VA
1984 AMC Eagle Limited
2017 Jeep Renegade Altitude
1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself"- Han Solo

Offline DarthGremlin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Re: Replaced transfer case-Now shifter won't move out of park?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 06:46:18 PM »
More info...

It is definitely not in the linkage.  I can't get the selector on the transmission to move.  this was not a problem prior to this project, although I did not touch the trans.

Still think it might be that parking lock mechanism...

has anyone out there EVER installed the t-case and adapter as a unit, rather than just the t-case on to the trans/adapter?  Or have I done this in a way that it simply can't be put back together that way?

Even if I have to dismantle the whole thing at this point, I could use some advice on what to do differently the second time around.

the fact that a I bought this car and it can't move on its own out of the garage (promised wife that this would be done NLT March at some point)  is starting to cause some tension around here!
1984 AMC Eagle Limited
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself"- Han Solo

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 07:09:08 PM »
Does the gear shift lever move (inside the car) or is it stuck into place? 
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline DarthGremlin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 09:07:28 PM »
I have disconnected the linkage at the selector switch on the trans to confirm that's where the problems is.  No problems with movement in the shifter when it is disconnected. 

If I am looking at that parking lock pin (arm?) that goes into the adapter.  It just looks like if I could get it in the slot....but it seems like it might be pretty difficult.  One of these things that comes out a lot easier than it goes in. There is a spring loaded piece that needs to slide aside and let the head of that pin go in to its little cubby hole. 

If I had it to do over again (and apparently I do), I would move the gear selector forward to extend the pin while I still have room to work with it when mating the adapter to the trans.  Get it back into the hole and then pull the adapter/t-case on to the transmission.

I have backed off the bolts on the trans enough to pull the adapter off and see the pin.  It is clearly not in place where it is supposed to be.  When it gets that little bit of space, I can see that movement of the trans selector switch causes movement of the pin, but just I just cannot either get it places correctly or push the selector switch hard enough to push that spring loaded parking lock mechanism out of the way.

Getting this far took me over a month since I have very little time to give to it....just a little here and there.  My wife has been nice enough to let me devote the past two weekends to it, but her patience is running out.  Very depressed that I think the whole thing has to come apart to fix it. :'(

1984 AMC Eagle Limited

Offline DarthGremlin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 10:28:13 PM »
Went out this evening and confirmed that it is the parking lock mehanism.  Once I was able to back the adapter off just a little more, I was able to move the gear selector on the trans into the next detent (reverse).

Unfortunately I returned my neighbors jack that would have (perhaps) allowed me to back it off the extra inch that I probably need to actually see what I am doing without puliing it completely off the shaft (THAT was a pain to do and I DON'T want to have to pry to place that again on my own!)

I will try to procure a jack and take another run at it.

If anybody has any words of wisdom or knows that I am going down the path to the dark side, please let me know.
1984 AMC Eagle Limited

Offline cj71983

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 02:33:01 AM »
i usually put the trans in N before putting the adapter on

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk