The Mighty 258 > Cooling System

Just a reminder regarding water pumps...

(1/5) > >>

greymarooneightytwo:
There are two variants listed for our cars at most part stores... one for ac and one for non-ac, due to the belt routing varying between them, reversing the rotation direction of the impeller.

They list them, at least at my parts store, as "serpentine" and "non-serpentine" for the ac and non-ac vehicles, respectively... I may have bought the wrong one and spent the last week thinking I had problems elsewhere, but you won't catch me admitting it!

mudkicker715:
The reverse rotation pumps housing used to at one time have "rev" cast into it. not sure that still holds true.

Eagleearl:
The serpentine pumps are for cars with the serpentine belt setup, which were made for California cars I believe. The non-serpentine pumps are for cars with the V-belt setup. Either one can be AC or non-AC.

greymarooneightytwo:
Ah, so is the variance is involved in presence or absence of an air pump then...?

I assumed it was the AC cars that used serpentine belts, but I had heard that due to California smog regulations there were pulse air systems in some of these vehicles..

Mine was a non-AC but had three separate belts, one for the air pump..

I wonder if it's just specific years that are affected?

What is the method to the madness?

Eagleearl:
Early Eagles had air pumps, then they switched to the pulse air system. These are to feed air to the catalytic converter to burn unburned hydrocarbons. These were to meet Federal mandates. I don't know why the serpentine belts for California, maybe for efficiency.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version