News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:29:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Control Freak Coil Over Front Suspension  (Read 775 times)

Offline Blip Downshift

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Control Freak Coil Over Front Suspension
« on: February 22, 2023, 11:58:57 AM »
I was just snooping around a couple of AMC part websites and noticed a Control Freak coil-over front suspension for the Eagle.  It is for sale on the AMC Lives web site https://www.amclives.com/collections/suspension/products/coil-over-conversion-system-front-1980-88-amc-eagle.  It is described as being made by Al at Control Freak.  I know he had been asked about this a couple of times but I didn't know he was going to put a product out there.  The weird thing is, I don't see it advertised on his website.  But at AMC Lives, the description is very clear to apply to 81-83 Eagle SX4 and 80-88 Eagle wagon/sedans.  Does anyone know more about this?

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
Re: Control Freak Coil Over Front Suspension
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 07:03:35 PM »
The pictures shown on amclives are the same as the Spirit coilover kits shown on Control Freak's website. They show a 2wd hub, not a 4wd hub.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 07:55:53 PM »
Judging from the pics; I'd say this would only work if you wanted a 2-wheel-drive Eagle, and a lowered front end.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 08:00:54 PM »
Judging from the pics; I'd say this would only work if you wanted a 2-wheel-drive Eagle, and a lowered front end.

Kind of like this disgrace...?   ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkE4QgyYXPI
Current Project: 1983 Eagle Wagon 258
Past AMC Project(s):  1979 Spirit Liftback 232
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 08:58:15 PM »
Might want to call them and double check the specifics on the part and compare them to the specifications for a eagle. I did talk to them a few years ago. They believe they will work, however they have never tested them so there is no guarantee. From my recollection of the call, the all the dimensions, as in length placement of mounting holes on lower control are etc. are the same. This only applies to the strut arms that connect the frame to the lower A arm. I never did ask about the a arm/ coil over kit they have.that is $2000.00 U.S. or higher. Like the one pictured ( link ) also I think the a arms are essentially the same and the major change was the knuckle for the axle to pass.
I will not have a chance to get them until I replace my carburetor and get the transmission serviced.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 09:04:13 PM by Taylor »
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 09:27:13 PM »
If your carb is a BBD, I'd be glad to rebuild it for you (with the AMC Service Bulletins performed).

I wonder if the pic on that Eagle suspension is wrong then; as it shows a normal spindle for a 2WD car.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Blip Downshift

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 02:53:38 PM »
I probably could have put this in anytime, but years ago I asked Al if I could just buy the upper portion of the Spirit coil-over kit and continue to use the Eagle's lower section and he responded that it would work fine.  I was just wondering if Control Freak decided to make a tube style lower control arm for the Eagle.  Good thing is though, the lower control arm is boxed in which is the next best thing to tube designs.  In time, unless a dedicated kit comes out, I will probably buy the upper portion of this kit (if Al will still price it that way) and use the factory lower control arms.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk