News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:29:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Yet another linkage question  (Read 894 times)

Offline Mr_Roboto

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Yet another linkage question
« on: May 25, 2022, 11:11:07 PM »
So I have an Offy 4bbl Intake Manifold on my 258 and it clearly says "not for use with an automatic transmission" in the little documentation I can find. Naturally, that means I want to use it with an automatic transmission.  ;D

I've got the bracket, the kickdown linkage rod and a throttle cable and no springs either on the trans end or the linkage end. This naturally brings a few questions up:
1-Can I fabricate a method using the kickdown mechanism as it is to use a carburetor that's got its shafts mounted going front to back instead of driver's side to passenger side like the stock carb linkage seems to? I am thinking about a chunk of universal throttle cable of some kind going to the carb.
2-How do universal  kickdown cables work out? It seems as if the mechanism for these is somewhat more complex from the factory and obviously am concerned about transmission longevity.
2A-Would I want a universal spring at the carb if I used a to connect to the original linkage? I lean towards yes.
2B-What kickdown springs should I use and where do I get them at?
3-Would a universal cable based kickdown and throttle cable be enough to solve this problem? If so I think I could make a bracket to get that working with a set of carb mounted return springs

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
Re: Yet another linkage question
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 12:52:45 AM »
The universal kick down cable with a return spring is an option I have used on other AMC's when I didn't have the original linkage or had used a Clifford intake on a six cylinder.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 12:03:37 PM »
I always get a little worried when someone starts talking "kick-down".

Everything I've heard over the years, is that it's not actually a kickdown, it's a proportioning valve. And it has to be correctly adjusted or you'll burn out your transmission. Which is exactly what happened on my '81, to the part that handles Reverse & I think it was 1st gear. Turns out the tech adjusting it couldn't get it to secure at the correct spot, so he just secured it and left it - but without telling me...

So if someone is fabbing up something to replace the "kickdown" setup on the Eagle, are they going to end up with a kickdown or the Eagle "kickdown" that controls the proportioning valve correctly.

Offline Mr_Roboto

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 12:33:12 PM »
Indeed kickdown is a misnomer, in GM land they call it a "TV cable" and I've seen it called a "detent cable" as well.

The return spring would go on the trans, correct? Just wanting to be sure I understand things correctly.

Also, is there an optimal distance from the center of the throttle shaft out to the cable stud I should be using?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk