News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 02, 2024, 07:31:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blower delay when cold?  (Read 3210 times)

Offline byrdock

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Blower delay when cold?
« on: February 24, 2015, 10:32:45 PM »
Trying to figure out what would cause the blower to not run when the temps outside are below freezing? When it's that cold out fan won't blow until car warms up. After that it works like a champ until the next time it gets below freezing? Any one have this happen before? I don't want anything to go wrong next week if I drive from NC to OH!
Click for Buies_Creek, NC Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
Re: Blower delay when cold?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 09:43:55 PM »
Hello byrdock,  possibly old dried out lubrication on motor bearings susceptible to the cold ... when heat form the engine blows back on the heater motor it is able to turn ... try heating the motor up with a hair drier before you start the car as a test ...  is the only thing that comes to mind :o
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:50:39 PM by IRON HORSE »

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 05:24:14 PM »
Fan is in it's death throes or packed full of leaves and junk. Corrosion in the fuse box is another possibility.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 10:14:12 PM »
Ya mine makes an awful noise when cold but after running for a moment or turn it off and back on works ok. works ok in the summer. Need to change it next time it warms up.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline byrdock

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 11:08:21 PM »
Thanks everyone! That's what I was afraid of, better find a new motor before it bites the big one when I really need it.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 04:58:25 AM »
I just used a Jeep XJ one (I think) in mine when I did the heater core swap.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline byrdock

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 10:38:49 PM »
UPDATE  for anyone that ever has this problem

Finally traced source of fan delay to loose connection on switch.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk