News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:55:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The full XJ to Eagle swap process  (Read 32395 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: The full XJ to Eagle swap process
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 12:41:40 PM »
I have pictures of what I did for the dash (very easily done, still needs a bit of work though). Basically I trimmed the Jeep gauge cluster up pretty well. Removed all the lips and stuff off of it.

For the Eagle dash, I removed the gauge cluster + surround that holds it. I trimmed the shelf a little bit, and removed some of the plastic off of the bottom to make it smooth. For the sides I trimmed part of the half circle off into a straight line, so now the Jeep cluster sits on the bottom lip and aligns with each side of the Eagle surround that I had to cut. 3 screws (bit more than that) for the bottom to hold it and it's in, and looks good. There are open areas at the top and a bit on the sides, but I think some black nylon to cover it and it'll be done.

Looking for a thin sheet of lexan to cover the XJ gauge cluster since the original is curved.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2015, 12:11:49 PM »
OK, here's where I stand on my Eagle.

The big part is done. The 4.0 / AW4 / NP242 are all in. I need to swap the front over to 3.55 + driveshaft, and modify the shifter to work right for 2H/4FT/4PT/N/4Low. Also need the hanger put on the drivers side (blocked by the exhaust that comes off the engine).

The external fuel pump sucks. It does it's job, but the sender in the tank doesnt read the fuel leve. I'm going to order a replacement Eagle tank and find a Cherokee sender + cut the hole out of a XJ tank so I can install it properly.

The interior needs to be installed. Have most of it in. There's a lot of small things that need to find places to live but I'm coming up with some amazing ideas to fit it all in to make it look good. Need better speakers as well so I can drown out the squeaks and rattles that the car makes.

Suspension needs attention. I learned that instead of just swapping out leafs due to sagging, I should have replaced 2 leafs from the Eagle pack with 2 from the XJ then added 1 more to stiffen it up. I'm considering Munroe 58510 shocks for the rear, and the Chevy II shocks for the front.

The door handles started to snap in the horrid weather we've been having, so I'll be replacing these with YJ/TJ half door handles.

Windshield needs to be replaced, and rear window needs to be pulled and resealed. I pulled the trim off and cleaned it..now it leaks lol. Ultimately, I would like to find a seal to replace the chrome around the windshield and rear window like they use in newer vehicles. It'd keep the water out.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2015, 10:24:03 AM »
I cleaned up the original post, and will be adding pictures.

If you have a request let me know. The car is still in the project phase, but the heavy work has been done.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2015, 11:19:12 AM »
I would look at a Dodge Caravan sender/pump assembly. It has adjustable height.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2015, 06:57:00 AM »
Any idea on the years I should look at?

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2015, 07:33:53 PM »
Did you get the shifter from the donor for the t case? I used the one from the ZJ mine came out of. After making the bellcrank fit I realized that the shifter bracket on the case could probably be flipped the other way and eliminate some parts.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2015, 03:58:47 PM »
I discovered that too with the Eagle and FSJ linkage.  On the fuel sender, I'd say pre '96. Later XJs use a similar pump setup.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2016, 10:48:15 PM »
Finally got it up and running with the modified XJ tank and XJ fuel sending unit. Yay!

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2016, 01:01:30 PM »
Congrats!  :occasion14: :hello2:
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2016, 02:33:20 PM »
Still needs work, such as paint, the interior trim needs to be sanded down and repainted as well. Some wiring too...and welding, but the big stuff is done.

Offline el-camino

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 32
    • holiday in sweden
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2018, 06:15:11 PM »
hi all
old thread but for me are actualy  :)
when you use the XJ harness, what you doing with the security alarm system ?
will it start or not ?
or must i do some bypasses ?
thanks for your help
the next days i will open a new thread with a lot of pics
fulls swap SX4
greets from Sweden
Klaus

www.forneby-hill.com

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2018, 10:35:13 PM »
ZJs have security alarms. Most XJs do not

Offline el-camino

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 32
    • holiday in sweden
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2018, 02:04:52 PM »
ok, but my harness from a 91 XJ have one, take a look on this picture
https://photos.app.goo.gl/at1KwmIy89WGvkqc2
greets from Sweden
Klaus

www.forneby-hill.com

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2018, 04:07:49 PM »
I forgot your parts rig wasn’t a US or Canadian one. That security setup was why I gave up putting the ‘93 ZJ harness in my ‘84 J10 with the 4.0L swap.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2018, 10:34:32 PM »
There are threads on Jeep forums that deal with this exact issue. I believe they you can ground a wire and it gets rid of the whole issue.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk