News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 01:45:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: fender braces  (Read 4752 times)

Alcology

fender braces
« on: July 22, 2012, 11:16:16 AM »
I just made a set of fender braces for my other car and it really stiffened up the handling!  I might make a set for eagles and if I do, well the first one is the hardest and after that it's pretty easy.  Is there an interest for fender braces here if I start making them and selling them?  I'll try to make them as close to plug and play as I can get.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: fender braces
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 01:05:39 AM »
What about using XJ braces?
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 11:46:54 AM »
just curious but how do fender braces stiffen up a car?? and where do they go and what not??
I think he is talking about strut tower braces
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline midtownboarder

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 01:45:34 PM »
just curious but how do fender braces stiffen up a car?? and where do they go and what not??
I think he is talking about strut tower braces

x2 on that...i pulled the fender braces off my xj a loooong time ago, and it doesn't affect the stiffness of the vehicle...strut tower braces help a lot though, i had a brace on my vw corrado and it made a huge difference...
81 sx/4 - stock...
82 sx/4 - restore project...
81 sx/4 - crawler project...
99 xj - 6.5" lift, 35" km/2's, locked, etc...
95 pathfinder - daily driver...

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 10:50:47 PM »
this is a picture of a mustang but it will do for folks not familiar with a strut tower brace
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Alcology

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 11:50:21 AM »
I think about making strut tower braces too, but I need to do more thinking on that.  These are fender braces:

The link would start at a piece of framing, most likely the door hinges, and continue out into the inner fender.  What's it's supposed to do is stop the front of the car from going up and down, so when you turn you get less body roll.  It kinda does the same thing as a strut brace, but not exactly.  I would imagine it might be a hindrance offroading as that body roll would help the front to go over obstacles? 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk