News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 06:41:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cardone rebuilt distributor reviews  (Read 3540 times)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Cardone rebuilt distributor reviews
« on: December 24, 2011, 12:11:06 PM »
Has anyone purchased a Cardone rebuilt distributor? Mine works fine, but I am finally diving into the Megasquirt install and trying to have the least amount of down time when I do it. I need to lock out the advance on distributor and since it is the factory one that is 27 years old with 170K miles I figured I'd get a "new" distributor and modify it. I can get a distributor from Advance for $45. I just don't see how you can do a proper rebuild and figure in profit for the retailer for that amount. Anyone use these?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
Re: Cardone rebuilt distributor reviews
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 12:19:20 PM »
I remember reading a thread, a few years ago on another car forum where people discussed them. People had mixed reviews of them. Basically the overall consensus was that they were cheap, and worked OK for a daily driver. Part of the problem is, they don't rebuilt the entire distributor. Only parts that they deem are 'worn out'. They save a lot of money by using extremely cheap labour as well. A lot of people did return them once they realized they were not completely rebuilt, and made in china.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 12:23:32 PM by Sunny »

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 01:56:32 PM »
That's what I figured. Just like most parts store rebuilds.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 09:50:11 PM »
I've never had an issue with Cardone anything but the issue with reman parts, especially for older things is that the cores degrade over time.  Cardone has a P/N for a brand new unit 84-4691.  Not sure about the availability though.
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 10:05:46 PM »
I've never had an issue with Cardone anything but the issue with reman parts, especially for older things is that the cores degrade over time.  Cardone has a P/N for a brand new unit 84-4691.  Not sure about the availability though.

Rebuilt parts are usually OK, but most of the time, I'd rather just spend a bit more for something brand new and higher quality. Especially if it's on a nicer car. Some parts stored do carry 'fully refurbished' parts though.. which are a step above 'replace whats worn, rebuilt parts'. You have to make sure the word fully, or completely is on there though. I'd rather just get a kit though and rebuilt it myself, if I was going to go used anyways. At least then I know, that I replaced EVERYTHING inside.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 02:09:13 AM »
Rebuilt stuff is hit or miss in alot of cases...Me being cheap and a gambling man by nature I always get rebuilt stuff, sometimes I win sometimes I lose. The only time I insist on new is if its a part that takes days to get to or if in the case of a failure it would cause major damage.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk