News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 08:13:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: head liner repair question.  (Read 8793 times)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
head liner repair question.
« on: May 16, 2011, 01:51:12 AM »
My headliner is in descent shape..not torn or stained. However there are 2 large sags in the sun visor area. can I just spray glue those areas or should I completly remove the thing and re-glue it?
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
Re: head liner repair question.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 02:18:02 AM »
I would completely remove and reglue.  The fabric tends to break apart some, and the little pieces that flake off tend to get in the way of a sucessful re-glue attempt.  The guy who did my headliner brushed down and cleaned off all the excess loose pieces.  Then he re-glued.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 02:25:58 AM »
Thats probably what ill do...that way it doesnt sag somewhere else in a week

A-A EAGLE

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 03:46:31 AM »
Shanebo,

There is a full topic about repairing headliners. Somebody wrote a full description of it. Taking the ceiling out, brushing the loose stuff off, glueing a couple of times with white glue (as you use for wood) mixed with water, then put new headliner on.

Anjo

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 04:04:42 AM »
What glue? Wood glue? No no and no. I've done this 3 times. Wood glue REALLY haha.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Tennessee_Farmer

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 53
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 12:08:02 AM »
I have replaced several liners and have used old varnish, white glue, and other such things to get a good hard surface to attach the new ceiling material.  What is important is that it is thin so it soaks in.  The white glue has to be watered down so it is very soupy.  Apply several coats and allow to dry between coats.  Also, when attaching the new ceiling material, apply a generous coat of spray contact cement to both the ceiling and the underside of the new liner.  It is best to use the contact cement that is made for liners.  It sprays in ribbons.  It usually takes a couple of cans for one liner.

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 12:34:40 AM »
I think I might tackle this soon. I got no money right now for all the expensive engine and trans. parts I need....this would be a bit more frugal project for right now.

1982AMCCONCORD

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 10:23:55 AM »
Dude... I had mine start in the same spot and eventually they just fall. I had mine redone! It looks pretty good... I went with a rose color  light burg and it looks good!

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 10:04:17 PM »
Did you have it professionally redone? Im thinking having someone do mine. I pulled the headliner out and the more I look at this thing the more Im starting to think I might just mess this up if I attempt it...I really want it to look good. If they dont have somthing close to nutmeg I might just go with black.

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 10:25:19 PM »
If they ever start down, they will eventually come the rest of the way, especially if you drive with the windows open.
We had both of ours done.  We found a board for the 88 in a wrecking yard, cleaned off the glue, and had it covered. 
For the 88 we took the board out, took it to a shop with the loose material still on it and had it covered. 
We reinstalled both.  Installation is best done by at least two people.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 11:05:57 PM »
If ya dont mind me asking...How much does it cost to get one recovered?

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 12:06:24 AM »
Depends on the shop.  We don't remember for sure - maybe about $7x in Little Rock.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 12:27:09 PM »
If ya dont mind me asking...How much does it cost to get one recovered?

If I remember correctly I think it was about $190 to do mine, but that included recovering both sun visors and some repairs to the front edge of the headliner board I'd destroyed while sandblasting.  I'm thinking maybe around $130 to just do an undamaged headliner.

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 08:59:50 PM »
that sounds fair enough...The few extra bucks spent on someone else doing it is so worth not dealing with the headache of trying to do it myself.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 09:02:34 PM »
Its an easy job. Really

Manitowoc WI

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 10:35:47 PM »
Mine was over $100 with no install.  It included the visors, which I wish I would have done myself.  The headliner looks fine, but the visors look like absolute crap.  I think I could have done the visors myself blindfolded better than the upholstry guy did. 

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 12:36:07 AM »
I want to dig around the salvage yardsfor some illuminated visors...mine are shot and if im spending the money to recover them I may as well get some fancier ones.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 12:45:11 AM »
I want to dig around the salvage yardsfor some illuminated visors...mine are shot and if im spending the money to recover them I may as well get some fancier ones.

I thought about doing that as well as adding a rear view mirror with the map lights on it like my Saturn has, but I did not know how to do the wiring.  I am horrible with wiring stuff.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 01:18:27 PM »
Mine was over $100 with no install.  It included the visors, which I wish I would have done myself.  The headliner looks fine, but the visors look like absolute crap.  I think I could have done the visors myself blindfolded better than the upholstry guy did. 

I removed and installed mine as well.  Mine was perhaps a little more involved because most headliner replacement is done with a pre-fabricated headliner material that has foam already attached to it.  They didn't have purple in the actual headliner material so I had to buy material and foam seperately and they had to apply first the foam and then the material rather than being able to do it all in one step.

Offline lonestar1947

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 04:10:48 PM »
Keep in mind also what headliners are interchangeable; I put a headliner from a Spirit Kammback into my SX/4 Eagle.  The Spirit was an inexpensive model and didn't have fancy trim, just vinyl glued on a piece of cardboard. 

A headliner from a Gremlin will work in a Kammback or SX/4.  These are just color printed on a piece of cardboard.  If you get lucky (like I did) you don't have to paint or recover anything.  The parts are original, and you can save some money.

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 03:52:19 AM »
Thats a good question. it would need to be somewhat flexible yet ridgid. There are several companies that make moulded headliner boards out of abs plastic that pop right in.....Unfortunatly they are only available for your more popular cars....novas, callangers, mustangs, etc.....Nothin for AMC....not even AMX's....maybe we can file a discrimination law suite!  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk