News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:00:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wheel tech - backspacing, offset, etc.  (Read 36986 times)

Offline trooper5707

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Re: Wheel tech - backspacing, offset, etc.
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 12:06:31 AM »
Anyone know if a zero offset will work?

I can say I tried zero offset with 215/75R15 BFG tires and they hit horribly. Stock Jeep Turbines (5" backspace) are much better.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 09:21:12 AM »
My experience also.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline runsfar

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • 1986 Eagle wagon
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 11:24:15 AM »
Hey, all!

I am working on something that may blow this discussion wide open. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. U.S. Mags manufactures custom wheels. Their Vintage Forged line are manufactured in two pieces and welded together. They are all 6061 T-6 aluminum, but the centers are forged and CNC machined, while the rims are spun forged. That means they can put the centers where needed to create any backspace/offset you want! At least that's what I'm hoping.

http://www.us-mags.com/vintage-forged-b-3367.htm

They only work through dealers, so use their form to find one near you. I'm waiting to hear back on a set of Z16 - U401s in the stock 15"x6" 25mm offset.

If this works out, you will see pics of my smiling face next to gleaming polished wheels.
I have no idea why I wanted a thirty year old car so bad, but it is finally mine.

Offline runsfar

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • 1986 Eagle wagon
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 02:42:35 PM »
UPDATE ON U.S. MAGS WHEELS:

They will make completely custom wheels! The only issue may be the price. I was quoted about $760 per wheel. After mounting and tax and all, it would be about $3200 for new wheels. That's not outrageous in the world of custom wheels, but a bit steep for me. I will have to save a few more pennies to afford them, but the takeaway here is that you can get custom wheels that will fit without modifications.
I have no idea why I wanted a thirty year old car so bad, but it is finally mine.

Offline trooper5707

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 10:47:34 PM »
UPDATE ON U.S. MAGS WHEELS:

They will make completely custom wheels! The only issue may be the price. I was quoted about $760 per wheel. After mounting and tax and all, it would be about $3200 for new wheels. That's not outrageous in the world of custom wheels, but a bit steep for me. I will have to save a few more pennies to afford them, but the takeaway here is that you can get custom wheels that will fit without modifications.

ouch!

Offline v0rt3x86

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
  • Day at the Beach
    • MySpace
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 01:04:37 AM »
Time to restore the necro-thread:  What's the hub bore?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk