News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:58:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cheers from Southern California - Father/Daughter Eagle SX/4 Build  (Read 1873 times)

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • You can do it right, or do it twice.
So I've taken so much value over the last few months from this forum that I decided I had better become a member. I can't tell you how helpful the articles have been.

My journey started in March of this year. My daughter just turned 15, and I was talking to her about giving her Mom's Durango and buying mom a new car. Incidentally, mom really liked that idea. However, daughter had other plans. "So Daddy...you used to restore old cars when you were a kid, right?".

"I sure did, kiddo"

"That's so cool! Do you think you and I could restore an old car instead of getting mom's car?"

And that was it. I haven't had a project car in 10 years, but how do you say no to that??!! She asked me to give her recommendations of cool old cars from my childhood. And while I take exception to "old car" and my childhood being used in the same sentence, I acquiesced. I gave her options I thought were cool. When she saw the Eagle, that was it.

"This one Daddy!"

"Are you sure"

"Yup!"

And that was it. Found an '82 Eagle SX/4 with 4.2L and a 5 speed with factory air on eBay. The auction ended at 6pm my time on Easter Sunday. So there I am, fork in one hand and laptop on the table snipe bidding as the seconds ticked away. We won the auction right as we were getting ready to cut in the pumpkin pie. It was exciting, and she was so thrilled.

We had the car shipped and we began work immediately. It would start (kind of) when we got it, but would not idle and if you tried to drive it more than a few feet it would just die. According to the previous owner, it was sitting in a barn for 20 years.

Last Sunday we finally got her running and I passed smog and got my plates just a few days ago. This will be a full stock restoration. The only alterations will be a head unit capable of bluetooth and Apple Car Play for navigation, and I am lifting it 2". Everything else will remain. I'm currently working on trying to get the Select Drive to function again, and then I'm going to start on the front end rebuild and lift.

Needless to say, this is quite a large project. But I have a year to do it. And it is a blast and an amazing bonding experience to work with my daughter and teach her how a vehicle actually works.

Cheers!

JR
'82 Eagle SX/4, 4.2L 5 speed - Father / Daughter Build

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Cheers from Southern California - Father/Daughter Eagle SX/4 Build
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 06:45:09 PM »
Thanks for the story.   And congrats on having a kid who appreciates old cars!!   Obviously brought up correctly........
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 06:58:27 PM »
Thank you!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 07:38:50 PM »
Sounds like a great father-daughter experience.  Good luck with the build!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline atmafox

• Mad Engineer
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 08:23:18 PM »
That's such a touching story!  Hearing about another lady getting into cars is always great; sometimes I feel pretty alone re working on cars as a woman - not to mention driving stick in this day and age.

For radios may I recommend https://www.retromanufacturing.com as they make factory style radios that support everything you're after and then some!

Good luck!
-Andrea
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 03:17:16 PM by atmafox »
Mine:
- 1980 AMC Eagle 2dr Sedan
- 2009 BMW 335i xDrive Coupe

Ours:
- 1986 Toyota Pickup

Hers:
- 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo
- 1988 Toyota Celica All-Trac
- 1997 Toyota RAV4 2dr 4x4

His:
- 1985 Nissan 720 Pickup Deluxe King Cab 4x4

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 11:21:04 AM »
That's such a touching story!  Hearing about another lady getting into cars is always great

Thank you! It's been a blast teaching her and watching her learn. And I appreciate the tip for the radio! Here are a few pics of her getting her Eagle on  :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7z3VhiNnEZEkiXrM7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UZgwt4NuzVCxzxvF8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KvHeU4PTeqdQmDjN7
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 11:22:19 AM by jrpentolino »

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 06:44:36 PM »
Cool pics, thanks for sharing.

Do you have your blasting cabinet set up in the front hallway to your house?  That's awesome!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 12:51:37 PM »
Do you have your blasting cabinet set up in the front hallway to your house?  That's awesome!!

The cabinet is actually in my breezeway. My wife would kill me if I brought it in the house  ;D. Actually....she might just kill me anyway. With my 40' container in the backyard, as well as two trailers and now the Eagle....we'll let's just say she isn't thrilled with what I'm doing with the place. But my Daughter and I love it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk