News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:55:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: After Market Valve Covers  (Read 150028 times)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: After Market Valve Covers
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2007, 04:34:28 PM »
Looks good.  Who care what the place looks like as long as they have the parts you need.  Did you share my suggestion with them about adding the AMC Eagle to their list?
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2007, 04:42:50 PM »
I got there catalog (you can see it on the kitchen table), I will go through it to see what fits the Eagle, and then mail it to him.
He is doing a lot of work on drive trains for CJ's for people who really take them off road.
It is good for me to have an additional AMC/Jeep expert near (there is one right here in Buitenpost, where I live, working on Chrysler/Jeep mainly Cherokee).
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2007, 05:11:36 PM »
@eddie, which hole (1st or 2nd) did you use to the PCV? Did you use the the rubber on the car or one of the new grommets?

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

Offline bigdog56e

• Thumbs Up 65
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2007, 06:15:36 PM »
 Jurjen,
            I used the front hole as oil fill, 2nd hole as pcv, and the rear hole for the crankcase breather. used all the hardware they provided, works great.
                                                                                                 Eddie

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2007, 07:30:52 PM »
Yes, that is how it goes.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2007, 12:41:58 PM »
Ok, I did the valve cover upgrade today.
Yesterday evening I glued the cork gasket on the cover with sealant.
Put it on a flat surface and put some bricks on for weight. Left it to dry overnight.
This morning I first removed the old valve cover.

1. I removed air filter, carburettor and a bunch of vacuum hoses.
2. I removed the wipermotor, this is really easy, four plate screws and a clip (good tip from the nest).
3. Hung up the wiring loom with a piece wire on the underhood courtesy light.
4. Removed the bolts from the cover and took it off.

The bolt holes on passenger side had 1/4" heliciols and the bolts supplied were 5/16", so I used 1/4" ones with a washer.
The bolt holes front and back were 1/4", same as bolts supplied with the cover.
On the drive side were only two holes that had to be tapped.
I drilled them a little deeper to 1/2" deep (the bolts supplied need a hole a least 5/16" deep thread) and than threaded the hole with a machine tap. Since the head is cast iron, it cuts like butter. I used the family vacuum cleaner to remove the metal shavings.
It put a thin coat of sealant on the cilinderhead. If you have AC, it needs a little lifting of the AC hose to get it on.
It put the bolts in and did not tighten them right away. The bolt near the firewall is a problem to get in. I succeeded on the second try. I used an angle grinder to make the bolt pointed and used a small file to cut the thread a little deeper.
This is and old trick to make self centering bolts. It went straight in. Than I tightened the rest.
The grommet supplied for the PCV was to big. I increased the diameter of the PCV-valve with a piece of garden hose and sealed it on with heat shrink hose for a nice tight fit. Put everything back on. and make a test drive. Now it is oil tight.
In total it took me about 4 hours, incl two coffee breaks (we Dutchmen drink a lot of coffee).

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2007, 12:45:16 PM »
The bolt near the firewall is a problem to get in. I succeeded on the second try. I used an angle grinder to make the bolt pointed and used a small file to cut the thread a little deeper.  This is and old trick to make self centering bolts. It went straight in.

Excellent Tip!!!!!!!!!!!

In total it took me about 4 hours, incl two coffee breaks (we Dutchmen drink a lot of coffee).

So that explains my coffee consumption.   

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2007, 01:31:39 PM »
The coffee we drink is a little stronger than yours normally is.
It is more like the Starbucks Dark Roast coffee, you should try that.

Back on topic. After about 100 mls I opened the hood and it is still oil tight. No puddle under the car anymore.
I was amazed to find that almost all bolts were lose. So I tightened them again and will check again later.
I think the cork gasket must have settled in.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2007, 01:36:49 PM »
Yes, rechecking fasteners is a good idea.  Especially where gaskets are involved.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline bigdog56e

• Thumbs Up 65
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2007, 08:02:48 PM »
  I didn't remove the wiper motor to put my cover on, about two hours, including tapping the bolt holes. The entire job was not that difficult. I did have to grind some on the a/c belt adjuster for clearance around the cover.
                                                                    Eddie

Offline bigdog56e

• Thumbs Up 65
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2007, 12:48:18 PM »
JJ,
     Do you suppose someone had tried put a different cover on it before, hence the mismatched bolts, or possible a screwup by a technician at a dealership? My '82 had all holes drilled on sides for 5/16", and 1/4" front and rear, all I had to do was tap for the side bolts. The tall cover and thick gasket maybe for clearance for folks using maybe roller rockers, or higher lift cams, just my thought.
                                                                                 Eddie

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2007, 05:23:37 PM »
JJ, my bolt pattern was exactly the same. The plastic valve cover used the 1/4" passenger side holes, so I used 1/4" bolts with a washer. Driverside wasn't tapped, and I drilled them a little deeper. They will hold the 5/16" thread without a problem.
There is no thread in them because on the driverside clamp plates on the studs were used.
I removed the washer motor to reach the bolt near the firewall.
This is only four plate screws and a clip (removed in 2 minutes) and will give you a lot of work space.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2007, 08:19:02 PM »
Yes, different ways and cover styles to try to afix the cover were used.  Mine did not have the two center fasteners.  It was tapped for screws on the front, rear and passenger side and only held on by the glue on the driver's side.  The holes on the driver's side were for the locating pins.  Yet, your top fastened cover and my side fastened cover are both found in 1982 model cars.  IIRC your SX/4 is later production than mine.  Remember all of the subtle differnces we found?  The recall cover where side affixed on both sides and recall notice instructions had the dealership installing helicoils as needed.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline bigdog56e

• Thumbs Up 65
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2007, 08:50:49 PM »
JJ,
    My original plastic cover had "nubbins" on it to fit in the holes, no gasket, just silicone. Had two studs made on the rocker bridges and 1/4" bolt front and rear, all the holes were drilled, but unthreaded.
                                                                           Eddie

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2007, 06:34:07 AM »
And my 1983 had no rocker bridges, but used the three bolts on passenger side.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk