The Shop > Electrical

Bad ground

(1/3) > >>

framedoctor:
If anyone has experience with bad ground, any info on how it was resolved or where it was found would be greatly appreciated. If I turn headlights or blower on, the gauges pin out.

Taylor:
I checked, re checked and re checked all the grounds. Replaced what looked questionable. Then I rewired the headlights with relays, so they would draw power directly from the battery. Not because of the dashboard lights dimming. The big problem I was having was the low beams were not bright enough and I didn’t want all that power going through the headlight switch causing it to over heat and potentially burn out or cause a electrical fire.

Illeagle1984:
Well the blower motor is case grounded (has its own ground), so I don't think it's a ground problem.  What does it mean, the gauges 'pin out?'  Do they stop working?  What do the instrument cluster lights do?  More information please.

If you have a test light or multimeter, it will help a lot.

MIPS:
The main engine-to-body strap failed on me once. Because the ignition system and the computer grounds through the block the engine ran but when you applied loads through the body (EG: the headlights or brake lights) it would try and ground itself through anything it could find back to the engine, such as through the rear diff, the driveshaft, the T-case and transmission and finally the engine. It also tries to backfeed through the temperature sender and for example you stomp on the brake the gauge pegs.

framedoctor:
Thank you for the response. I did replace engine to body strap with a heavy duty battery cable. I actually thought it fixed the issue but the issue soon returned.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version