News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:15:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kamloops to Castlegar  (Read 2352 times)

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Kamloops to Castlegar
« on: April 15, 2023, 09:53:49 PM »
Other than the Eagle my other hobby is old computers. I guess that works well with the CeC. Too bad though I don't always play with *small* computers. :P

Castlegar BC is six hours east in the mountains. Nice little town but in the Winter it's a nightmare to reach. The computer to pick up was an IBM System/32 which people dubbed "The Bionic Desk" because it's the same size of a desk, the computer is built *into* the desk and it weighs about 640lbs, so this meant it was time for another trailer pull.

First big pull since I bought the wagon. Wagon had a non-factory but dealership installed hitch kit which bolted to the bumper and the unibody itself, which I guess was better than nothing. It also included a massive transmission cooler that's nearly as big as the radiator. First upgrade it needed was a switch from a 1 7/8" ball to a 2" ball.
As soon as the weather improved and the roads cleared I set my Friday alarm clock and hit the road at 4AM with an empty trailer. Car did fine but the misbehaving high-beams were absolutely a problem. Arrived six hours later, spent another four hours loading the car with a computer even older than the Eagle (early 1976!) and then it was back over the three separate passes to get back again, which we did by 11:30pm that night. The hitch, engine and even the transmission held up great and after all that made it back consuming 146.2L and averaging 14.3mpg across three tanks of gas.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Kamloops to Castlegar
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 10:18:55 PM »
Quite the road trip!  Kudos to the Eagle for handling it with no problems!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Fred C Dobbs

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • We don't need no stinking 4x4 badges
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 04:50:55 PM »
Love your YouTube channel, CelGen guy. You guys put a lot of work into it and it shows.
1985 Eagle Wagon
1992 Buick Roadmaster
196x Volkswagen Rail Buggy
Ford F150 4x4
A bicycle

Online Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 05:16:07 PM »
Awesome find. Let us know how it does once you power it up. I have a few old computers sitting around but nothing close to the age of that IBM. Have you had a chance to work on a AS400?
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 08:54:36 PM »
Look up the video for the rock group Nestor's song "1989".  Old tech stuff plays a big part in the vid.   Darn good song & vid, too!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 03:20:10 PM »
Thanks and thanks. :) I try to balance some handy AMC videos on the Youtube channel whenever I get the chance.

Funny enough I had two AS/400 machines until early last year when I sold them to make space. Too new. Parts for early-2000's enterprise computers are still very expensive because many of the machines are still in use where millions of dollars are still on the line. This machine has not been powered on in 35 years but was supposedly turned off and stuffed into a corner, so it will probably work after it's cleaned, inspected and reassembled.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk