News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:30:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aluminum Valve Cover  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Knuckle0Head

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Aluminum Valve Cover
« on: November 30, 2022, 02:38:35 PM »
I have an 81 SX/4 with a 258 and I'm looking to replace the plastic cover, it leaks oil pretty much everywhere. I've dug around through various posts on different forums, and most of the links I've found lead to dead websites. I've also seen people mention using a cover off a 4.0 engine, and then drilling and tapping the head to mount it, however I want to avoid that. That's a lot more work than I want to do, the valve cover is the only issue with the engine so taking it apart any further isn't needed. I've seen some valve covers for sale but I don't know which are any good, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Re: Aluminum Valve Cover
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 04:19:31 PM »
Summit seems to still sells an aftermarket aluminum cover for the 4.2 but it's also a bolt-in.
IMHO for the cost of asking a shop to drill/tap and vacuum the holes (and save the risk of overdrilling into the coolant channel) it's a massive improvement over AMC's system of bolts and rocker bridges but I've found that both on my original head and my rebuilt '84 head you have to cement the cover and the gasket together with RTV or it will leak.

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 11:50:35 PM »
hi, check out PML valve covers at Yourcovers.com.  P/N 8656. This is the ONLY direct bolt on cover out there. Expensive, but, Made in the USA. other choices, look at the Jeep sites such as Quadratec, also good, and easy to install. good luck, gz
btw, 4.0 covers won't work.

Offline Knuckle0Head

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 01:11:43 PM »
hi, check out PML valve covers at Yourcovers.com.  P/N 8656. This is the ONLY direct bolt on cover out there. Expensive, but, Made in the USA. other choices, look at the Jeep sites such as Quadratec, also good, and easy to install. good luck, gz
btw, 4.0 covers won't work.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/917401_15_07.htm
Would this work, and does it require anything extra to attach or will it bolt on the same as the original? Want to make sure I'm getting the right parts

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 04:05:00 PM »
That should work, and it includes the hardware to install it.  Your vehicle may already include the holes for mounting, but you may need to tap them so the bolts will work.  Fairly simple procedure.  You may need to drill the holes which requires more effort, and make sure you don't drill through the head into the coolant passages. 

Good luck, and look on this site for more information on installing an aluminum valve cover!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 11:44:14 PM »
hi, yes, that one will work, follow installation instructions!  good luck,  gz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk