News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:02:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XJ wiper arm swap  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Paul Revere

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
XJ wiper arm swap
« on: July 12, 2022, 08:14:18 AM »
Does anyone know what needs to be done to use XJ wiper arms so I can use modern wipers? I've read it's a common swap somewhere, but cant find specifics. any year XJ i need to get them from, will it work for the Rear wagon wiper arm too, etc?

Offline Still Pat

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
Re: XJ wiper arm swap
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 09:51:37 AM »
I did it to my sedan, I can't find the post I got the info. from now. THIS isn't it,  but might help you. I don't know about the rear window, my wagon already had been changed before I got it.

'83 AMC Eagle wagon 258/auto.
'84 AMC Eagle sedan (4 door) 258/auto.
PREVIOUS AMCs:
'72 Gremlin X 304/3 speed
'81 Eagle Kammback 258/4 speed (Purchased new)
'82 Eagle wagon 258/5 speed (Ordered new, traded Kammback)
'86 (I THINK) Eagle wagon - BlackBird 258/auto. (Got hit/totaled)
'83 Eagle wagon - White Eagle 258-auto. (Front subframe was rotted out - sold for parts)

Offline Still Pat

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 10:07:24 AM »
FOUND IT!!! I was on Doug's Eagle Companion page on spacebook when I did mine!!! Here's the info. I got. From what I recall, you order the arms from one place & the blades from another. The blades are kinda small in my opinion, you COULD just order the arms & then go to where ever you want for blades in the right size.

'83 AMC Eagle wagon 258/auto.
'84 AMC Eagle sedan (4 door) 258/auto.
PREVIOUS AMCs:
'72 Gremlin X 304/3 speed
'81 Eagle Kammback 258/4 speed (Purchased new)
'82 Eagle wagon 258/5 speed (Ordered new, traded Kammback)
'86 (I THINK) Eagle wagon - BlackBird 258/auto. (Got hit/totaled)
'83 Eagle wagon - White Eagle 258-auto. (Front subframe was rotted out - sold for parts)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 06:51:59 PM »
I got my Cherokee arms from the junkyard.  You just slip the old ones off, put the Cherokee arms on, and buy some wiper blades for an early 90s cherokee, 18" I think.  Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Factory53

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Hoping to get my wagon back to a daily driver.
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 08:11:06 PM »
Just wanted to post the wiper arms I got from Amazon. They are Jeep Cherokee arms and are a direct fit for the AMC Eagle Wagon.

I've been using them now for about 6 months and they are awesome. No more trying to find spade type blades...highly recommend these ones:

https://www.amazon.ca/Omix-Ada-19710-13-Front-Wiper-Cherokee/dp/B000FPXUEI

Cheers,
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon (donor) - parted out and sold

Next up - Holley Sniper BBD swap - then I'll throw a Carter BBD smashing party

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 11:47:39 PM »
I just replaced my wiper blades yesterday. I had previously replaced the arms with some from an early 90s Cherokee, ordered the correct 18” blades, easy peazey.  >:( >:( >:(

BTW, anybody else notice how expensive wiper blades are these days?  Incredible!  >:(
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 10:13:41 AM »
I just replaced my wiper blades yesterday. I had previously replaced the arms with some from an early 90s Cherokee, ordered the correct 18” blades, easy peazey.  >:( >:( >:(

BTW, anybody else notice how expensive wiper blades are these days?  Incredible!  >:(

Theyre really marked up at parts stores becasue they know people will pay the price. Meanwhile the same name brand wipers are $5-10 on rockauto, if you dont mind waiting a few days for shipping
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline Factory53

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Hoping to get my wagon back to a daily driver.
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2023, 07:13:07 PM »
Wanted to post an update on those wiper blades I mentioned earlier in this thread. They are great and function perfectly still...but getting a bit of surface rust. So I'm thinking they are only primed a flat black. I'm going to give them a light sand, hit them with rust preventing primer and paint it with some flat black bbq paint.

So if you order them...hit them with paint straight away.
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon (donor) - parted out and sold

Next up - Holley Sniper BBD swap - then I'll throw a Carter BBD smashing party

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk