News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:58:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spring Perch Bushings  (Read 1400 times)

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Spring Perch Bushings
« on: January 31, 2022, 12:47:45 PM »
Both my front bushings are trashed and one of them let go on the weekend and now hard turns or a bump on the passenger side gives a *klunk* as it slides around inside the bushing.
They were not available when I ordered basically every other bushing two years ago. I can still only find new parts for the Rambler and Javelin. Has availability still not changed?

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
Re: Spring Perch Bushings
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 01:37:20 PM »
Not that I know of.

I do however have access to a lathe now, so I could make you some if you want. I also have two off the blue eagle, theyre old but intact.

EDIT:
nevermind I forgot I already sold them, I can still try to make you some if you get the measurements
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 01:47:06 PM by TheBirdman »
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 04:56:02 PM »
Rare Parts 15151.  Easy to find, but not cheap.   They got down to about $40 each a few years ago (when I stocked up!), but have gone up since.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 10:44:17 PM »
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2023, 02:03:35 PM »
I ended up buying a pair of bushing from AMClives when they were $159.97usd.
https://www.amclives.com/products/1968-69-amx-javelin-1964-69-american-upper-trunnion-bearing-only-kit

After taxes and shipping it came to $489CAD for the pair, plus UPS wanted in on the party and there was a $69 customs COD waiting for me at the door. x_x

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2023, 03:58:56 PM »
Cross-posting for closure.

They're in. Had a shop remove the old bushings and weld the new ones in. Don't forget to buy new bolts and nylon nuts.

Two things to note:

1 - Make sure the grease fitting points DOWN. If it points to the front or back you can't get a socket onto the nut for the shocks. The outermost nut is easy to reach with a spanner but the inner nut, oh man get ready for a world of caustic swearing. ;)

2 - The bushings come prefilled with grease. DO NOT ADD MORE GREASE! I did and with one extra pump it blew the seals out. You can put them back in with a deep enough socket but you have to remove any extra grease that has oozed out and into the seat for the seal because when you put the seal back in it will hydraulically pop the other side out.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 04:03:38 PM by MIPS »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk