News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 20, 2024, 05:55:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Touch Up Paint  (Read 2470 times)

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
Touch Up Paint
« on: March 13, 2015, 09:53:15 PM »
Has anyone purchased any touch up paint or paint kits and if so what brand and how was the color match. I have a few small chips around the front that I can't justify getting a full paint job for.

Thanks.

Rich
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Touch Up Paint
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 02:35:41 AM »
I've been pretty lucky eyeballing paints to match over the years. I look up the color code on http://paintscratch.com
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 07:36:17 AM »
Thanks Carnuck. I'd found that sight in my searches. Cool how they recommend all the extra stuff one would need but typically forget about.

Rich
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 08:55:24 AM »
My eagle has mocha brown i was able to get it mixed up and made at carquest. I gave them my code after they told me where to look for it. I forget where that is however. Maybe try a local shop.

Manitowoc WI

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 03:51:48 PM »
For touch up paint, I have used acrylic enamel mixed to match the AMC paint codes at my local auto body supply.  From what I understand, OEM touch up paint is lacquer based.  I am looking into the Langka kit that uses a special "Blob Eliminator" that allows you to simply wipe the touch up paint blob until it becomes even with the surrounding paint.  I hear good things.  I contacted the company and they said the blob eliminator could be used with acrylic enamel paint, but to give it a longer drying time and possibly dilute the BE 1:1 with water.  That is my plan.  I have a ton of chips in the strangest places and I can't imagine wet sanding them all out.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 03:52:29 PM by macdude443 »
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline Eagle Groupie

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Allentown, PA
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 05:40:13 PM »
If I understand correctly the Lankga stuff is only intended for use on a car with a urethane two stage (clear coated) surface.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 06:48:08 PM »
I was wondering that but they say any car after 1965 will be safe.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk