News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 17, 2024, 10:21:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Inline 8  (Read 2925 times)

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
Inline 8
« on: March 02, 2015, 10:08:38 PM »
Anyone else ever consider the Buick Inline 8 as a swap? Pros. Cons. Possible Hinders??

Offline jpgreen

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Re: Inline 8
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 10:43:17 PM »
Hudson inline 8 would stay in the brand, doubt either would fit personally. Cool though. I like captspillanes 3.0 mercruiser 4cyl idea for an sx4. Had the pontiac iron duke in an s10, no high end, but awsome torque and throttle response low end.

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 10:54:14 PM »
Agreed i think the fitment would be the most trouble some. Considering the 4.2 already runs to the back of the engine almost laying on the firewall and from the front to grill only about an extra cylinder would fit.... would be nice here the mighty roar of an inline 8 soaring down the trail!!

Offline jpgreen

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 11:00:59 PM »
Never actually heard one, there is a hudson hornet a few miles down from me(dead in the weeds). The mechanic next door to work had a straight eight something (not buick, mercury maybe?) But I never heard it run. As for the iron duke I had my exhuast fall off and wrap around the rear axle, then it got a glasspack under the passenger seat with a turndown. Incredibly abnoxious but fun! 3.0 4cyl should be even better. So do they sound better than the 258? No matter what they never sound cool to me.

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 12:39:09 AM »
Oh yeah they sound GOOD. That is if your a fan of inline tunes. I love the 4.2 and 4.0 tune and when I heard the inline 8... That did I said I'm eventuly buying one building it and try to fit it in. Not to mention the kind of torque one of those bad boys can put out if built right!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 09:15:21 AM »
I also don't see how a straight 8 would fit without major modification.  Back in the 80's there was a high performance engine shop across the alley from where I worked. They built engines mostly for circle track and offshore powerboat racing and would dyno engines quite often. One day I heard the weirdest and coolest sound coming from an engine on the dyno.  I went over to ask what it was and it was a 3.0L or 3.7L Mercruiser (I can't remember) they built for a swamp buggy racer.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 02:01:07 PM »
Way too heavy.  You would also upset the front/rear weight ratio.  With the I6 its nearly a perfect 50/50 which is what you want in a 4WD vehicle.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 02:23:51 PM »
Straight 8 is a low RPM, high torque VERY heavy motor that tended to snap cranks when you go past 4,000 RPM unless a billet crank is installed (due to torsional forces) Mercedes had one of the last straight 8s made for equipment.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 01:32:24 AM »
sounds good, but not really a good idea. that motor is HUGE, and heavy, with minimal parts availability, and what trans can you use with it? Having said that, all power to ya! dream big! gz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk