News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 17, 2024, 10:20:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rear stud for valve covers  (Read 7745 times)

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
Re: Rear stud for valve covers
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 03:09:10 PM »
SInce this thread is alive and its still in the general area im going to ask. I recently pulled the factory plastic valve cover pull all rockers and bridges, cleaned them and ended up replacing one set. The set i replaced do not seat right. if i tighten till its sturdy the push rod will not spin if i back off literally an 1/8 of a turn then there too lose and rock everywhere. I have tried starting both ways and i am getting serious back firing through the carb. Ive checked vac lines, all fuel lines EVERYTHING and i cannot seam to get the back firing to go away.... Any ideas guys??

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 11:44:27 PM »
mixed up wires or valves stuck open?
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 07:10:54 AM »
Unfortunetly not the wires I actually proactively sharpe'd the cylinder number next to each wire post on the cap. I have to rocker arms that will not seat right either it gets so tight the rod won't spin yet the rocket is super loose or it's basically  off. There's no in between for it.. I'm thinking at this point pulling the head is required... It was in my original plan however the gm I bought to drive while doing this is throwing the notorious security code and It will not start so my only option is to reassemble the eagle as soon as possible so I'm kinda in a bind...

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 10:34:41 AM »
On the GM, it sounds like the battery cable was loose. You need a code hammer to cure it of the security code.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 03:50:55 PM »
Yeah thanks for the info carnuck i actually have replaced the ICM, Alt, Starter, Battery, Terminal Side Post, & ground. The only thing left is the BCM which im not even going to mess with. The problem is the car has a donor engine from a Monte and the Job Is Horrible... So im junking it. If any one needs any GM 3.1L parts let me know im junking soon! The eagle has a collapse lifter which is why i cant get the bridge and rockers on right. So im looking to just swap another 4.2 in right now and deal with rebuilding my current one in the mean time. I found a guy local to me with a 4.2 from an 80 spirit with about 70k for $200 so i cant argue

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 12:38:02 PM »
Back when I was a broke student I had no money to buy gaskets for the Hornet I was driving and a lifter had popped like that. I was desperate so I took a ball peen hammer and knocked a hole in the lifter valley above the bad one and fished the pieces out with a magnet, then stuck another lifter in and glued a tin patch over the hole and put screws in to keep it there. Not a good thing to do to a motor, but like I said, I was stuck and about 500 miles from home with minimal tools. I was amazed that it kept running, then it tossed a rod and still ran 2 years longer.

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 06:47:22 PM »
Hahah thats crazy! i actually just took it all out with the exception of the lifters(for oil pressure purposes) , She runs very good considering only 5 cylinders are functional however i plan on doing a rebuild soon not really a swap so.. shes parked until i can drive her to the shop about 20 miles away. My buddy was a long time Chrysler mech and said when he gets back from vacay in about a week and a half i can bring her to his shop well pull the engine and do a rebuild. Im kind of eyeballing the Vodoo i lift cam but i think it might be to aggresive for an occational DD.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk