News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 16, 2024, 11:58:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rear stud for valve covers  (Read 7744 times)

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
Rear stud for valve covers
« on: February 25, 2015, 02:36:39 PM »
SO today i was pulling the valve cover. I have fat fingers and no swivel head sockets. Is the swivel head neccasary for comfortable access to the rear bolt? or any ideas on how to easily access it to install the new valve cover.... I got  :censored: off after 20 minutes and broke the old valve cover off...  :banghead:

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Rear stud for valve covers
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 03:26:36 PM »
I always remove the wiper motor for a valve cover job.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 03:28:32 PM »
Hahah i looked at it and said "you might be coming off!" hahah thanks for the confirmation! and kinda still on topic what taps did everyone use to tap the wholes on the right hand side(carb side) of the head for the aluminum valve cover?

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 10:52:06 PM »
I used a 1/4 drive flexible extension, worked well

Taking the wiper motor loose and moving it over a bit really helps too
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 02:14:14 PM »
ok thanks! anyone have any trouble with the bracket for the top pully? seems like it'd be in the way unless the valve cover is bezeled there? im still waiting on the valve cover should be delivered by monday so im kinda going by eye on fitment.

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 02:27:49 PM »
If I remember right (but my memory is failing me at times) I took that bracket off till I got the new valve cover in place, it was easier than trying to work around it.

After it (the valve cover) was on the bracket still fit in the same place without any modifications

Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 02:44:16 PM »
That seems logical. I may try that...

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 05:18:00 PM »
I threaded my holes and helicoiled them metric (because I had studs already) and used the aftermarket wing bolts on the cover. On the rear one, NAPA sells a $5 flexible extension 1/4" drive that I put to good use. If you pull the wiper motor instead, be prepared to clean that section out. Mine was chock full of pine needles and I used my leaf blower to clean it out with the wiper motor off. Made a HUGE mess and I was glad my valve cover was still on!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 06:52:56 PM »
Good info.  I actually just ordered the 3/8 swivel extension! I had actually did nothing but sand for the first 3-4 months I had the car so all that area you talking about is pretty much clean... I remember though it took probably 3 trips to the car wash to finaly get ALL the crap that had Built up over the 3 years she set... Good times bad times haha

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 02:03:08 PM »
Yup, 1/4' flex drive works well.  Put a dab of silicone sealant on top of fastener so it will not fall out on you.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 06:36:47 PM »
AMCClover258, how are you doing with that rear bolt on the valve cover?  I just spent several days getting to (and removing) that sucker, so I thought I'd throw my two cents in.

My situation was that I had a local service shop install an aluminum valve cover a few years ago.  It recently started leaking oil a lot, and I discovered that all of the bolts were loose (they could be turned by hand).  I tried just tightening them down, but it still leaked on the driver side, and I finally figured out that the gasket was broken between the two bolts under the air cleaner.  So I decided to do things right; I bought a new gasket and a tube of "The Right Stuff", and resolved to remove the cover and replace the gasket.

Everything was straightforward until I got to that back bolt.  I did everything suggested here on the board... I removed the wiper motor, tied the wiring harness back out of the way, etc., then attacked the bolt.  Here's the things I tried, in order:

(1) 3/8 drive, 'wobble extension', and a 7/16 socket.
--> This failed right from the start, in that I could not even fit a 3/8 drive between the valve cover and the firewall.  The problem is that the firewall sheet metal where the wiper motor mounts bulges out and almost overhangs the top of the valve cover.

(2) 1/4 inch drive, 'wobble extension', and a 7/16 socket.
--> This also failed, the problem being the two brake lines that traverse the firewall right underneath the wiper motor.  Using the wobble extension with the socket caused the wobble extension to wedge against brake lines, and kept the socket from getting a 'straight shot' down to the bolt head.

(3) 1/4 inch drive and a 7/16, 12 point, super-shallow wobble socket (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021IEBU4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).
--> I thought that eliminating the 'wobble extension' from the stack would get the moving parts low enough  under the brake lines so they could rotate, but it still didn't work.  The extreme angle forced by the firewall bulge kept me from getting a straight enough shot at the bolt to get the wobble socket down onto it.

(4) Here's what finally worked: I put a cutoff blade on my rotary tool and made two cuts about an inch apart on the firewall lip that bulged out over the valve cover bolt.  I then got a hammer and iron bar and pounded that 1 inch section back about a quarter inch.  That enabled me to finally get the 1/4 inch drive and shallow wobble socket down onto the bolt and unscrew it.

I don't know why this was so much harder on my car than others here on the board have described.  Maybe my engine is a little closer to the firewall than most Eagles (or maybe I just lack the finesse that some of the other posters have).  Lucky for me, muscles, hammers and iron bars can sometimes make up for a lack of finesse...

I'm now realizing that I'm going to have to unbolt the AC compressor to actually get the valve cover off, but I'm going to save the frustration for another day.

Good luck with your project, and I hope some of this helped,
John Bendiksen
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 06:55:19 PM »
Thank you for the imput that is actually intuitive thinking! I actually used my little brother who slid his little fingers back there and wiggled it till his fingers couldn't turn it anyfurher then manned a swivel socket on a swivel 3/8 entension on a 3/8 swivel driver and the worked for the 2 1/2 turns left. However i believe i adjusted my rockers a tad to tight and i am getting a rough idle so it looks like i get to spend the weekend pulling everything back off AGAIN....

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 10:55:43 PM »
When I bought my aluminum valve cover, they included a bolt for the back that had a round head with a hole for an allen wrench.  So you could just use a really long allen wrench to tighten it.  For anybody doing this projectin the future you may want to try to find such a bolt.  Of course, its still a pain to get the bolt in the hole!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 01:20:39 AM »
another option, one that I have used, is to put a 1/4-20 stud in the rear hole. this will securely locate your gasket, so it won't slide around while you're wiggling the valve cover in place, and allow you to seat the rear of  the valve cover properly. Now, of course, you have the PIta job of getting a 1/4-20 nut and lockwasher onto the stud. leaning over the car, using both hands and a lot of 'cussin!, you can get the nut on. To tighten it, I use a 1/4" socket on a Flex extension mated to a nut driver that has a 1/4" ratchet hole so you can insert your 1/4' ratchet and tighten it up. Another way, that I have also used, is to use a 1/4-20 Allen head capscrew.  for this , you can either use the above mentioned Flex extension with a 3/16' Allen  bit. or get any old 3/16' Allen wrench, and cut/grind it down to the length where it will just clear your valve cover but not hit the firewall. Loosen/tighten with pliers. Either case, it's a pita, no free lunch here! but it can be done! good luck . gz

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 05:19:29 PM »
The proper way to get that stud every time is socket extension u joint extension and ratchet.  Easy as hel l. I can pop that stud in under a minute like that.

Manitowoc WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk