News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 17, 2024, 02:14:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TFI UPGRADE FAIL  (Read 5747 times)

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
TFI UPGRADE FAIL
« on: July 30, 2014, 02:23:23 PM »
I need some help! lol ive done the tfi twice and my local mechanic once. I CANNOT get the car to start. Firing order is right cap and rotor installed correctly. the coil even works i Rigged it up tot he original wires and cranked her and she started fine but once i put the new wires and cap on it will no start.... Any Ideas?!  :banghead:

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: TFI UPGRADE FAIL
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 02:43:03 PM »
Make sure you have the right rotor. Big cap uses a different rotor than the small cap. Also, maybe the new xoil wire is bad from the factory.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 04:06:59 PM »
OK. i got that right rotor. i dont think the wires are bad but ill get a new set and give it a shot. i seen on summit theres a fire ball coil that has the stock female end and 8.2MM stock wires. you think that would give me the same out put with less head ache?

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 11:21:27 AM »
Are you using the stock coil and the original wiring?
If you're bypassing the resistor wire be sure the primary side of the coil shows roughly 3 ohms resistance or you may burn up the ignition module.

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 04:51:32 PM »
I am using stock currently. I even rigged the coil to the stock and it worked(not very well but she ran) but then i swap the tfi cap and wires and WOMP won't start. I've swapped them out like 6 times now and went through a starter already trying to do this frickin upgrade.

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 06:10:43 PM »
Are you getting any spark with the tfi cap and rotor installed?  Are you sure you have the correct rotor?  If you are using the stock coil and wiring, there should be no reason for it to stop running with the tfi components.

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 06:24:37 PM »
I think i have solved my dilemma.  :occasion14: I have been going counter clock wise with the firing order....... Not sure if i should laugh at myself or smack myslef......

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 08:23:45 PM »
That stuff happens.  I am guessing it is running better now.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 09:25:15 AM »
I think i have solved my dilemma.  :occasion14: I have been going counter clock wise with the firing order....... Not sure if i should laugh at myself or smack myslef......

DOH!  We've all been there.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

attemptnumber2

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 11:17:05 AM »
Even though everyone that plays with cars has done it at least once it is still embarrassing. Always remember the K.I.S.S. method.

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 01:36:08 PM »
Hahah. Yeah I've been at getting that on there for the better half of 2 weeks or more lol once i realized that i could have shut the hood on my head... But YES she runs 300% better! no more bogging down before she goes! not just a head cover swap and N u t t e r to do! (and finish priming my passenger side) <-- Been kinda slacking on that one!

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 01:57:05 PM »
Do you have an aftermarket cover? The plastic headed ones are a pattern of their own.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 03:13:35 PM »
No i don't i've been looking for one that'll fit because i do have the plastic cover.. And i do have a question not sure if someone can answer it but everytime i go full or 3/4s throttle my carb back fires badly. do you think if i get a non vacuum distributor it will stop the back firing? i think it has to do with the timing???

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 06:35:46 PM »
Check timing isn't too retarded. Or vac advance isn't shot/hooked up wrong. Loose intake bolts, loose carb body, etc.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 09:39:36 PM »
Will do!

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 10:52:17 PM »
Do you have an aftermarket cover? The plastic headed ones are a pattern of their own.
I have the plastic and i can't seem to feel confindent enough on any of the ones ive found online since i REEEAALLLYYY don't want to waste 100+ on something that is totally not gonna fit..

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 04:30:29 PM »
'82 to '86 is plastic cover. The replacements require removing the 2 bolts on top of the rockers (I did carefully with vise grips) and put a Clifford cover on. Jeep CJs, some early YJs, Eagles, Spirits and even my '83 J10.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk