News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 17, 2024, 12:45:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine Ticking  (Read 5909 times)

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
Engine Ticking
« on: June 04, 2014, 01:35:17 PM »
My Concord has developed a ticking noise over the last few months. It's very noticeable under load, so when idling in drive, its most noticeable. Idling in park it quiets down and doesn't tick as much. I'm thinking that it's a lifter tick. Any easy solutions to this, or any other ideas? (I've heard that smog pumps can create a ticking noise when going out, but I took the belt off and nothing changed, so its not the air pump).
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Engine Ticking
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 03:54:15 PM »
Could also be exhaust leak (loose manifold bolts) or loose flexplate bolts (if auto)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 05:00:52 PM »
My dad's concord was ticking like that, then eventually it started missing

We took the valve cover off and the rocker bridge on the number one cylinder had broken, it was a pretty easy fix and now it runs smoother and quieter than ever.

I know it's a pain the take the valve cover off, but it might reveal the problem . Also while it's off you can paint it nice!

Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 05:30:25 PM »
We had a 82 Eagle wagon that we had bought new and a year or so later I pulled a pop up camper with it and it ticked after that. I pulled the valve cover and found a bent push rod on number three cylinder. Put in a new push rod and problem solved. Drove that Eagle for ten years after that then sold it to my father in law who drove it to Florida and back to Ohio several times. He then sold it to my brother in law who destroyed it. Idiot!
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 11:49:15 AM »
I had a feeling it's related to the valve train as it sounds as though its coming from the top of the engine. I know AMC put out that technical service bulletin in 1982 about push rods being too short, I wonder if they were ever replaced in my engine. I was afraid the only solution would involve taking the valve cover off, really don't want too as its been leak free ever since I put the aluminum cover on 4 years ago. I will check the manifold bolts though.
Dan

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 01:03:46 PM »
The last couple years of tin cover 4.2L motors (first few Eagles) had a sticking valve issue on #2 cylinder.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 04:16:07 PM »
Timing chain slop is my guess.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 04:25:19 PM »
If it varies with oil pressure it could be a worn lifter.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 08:31:33 PM »
Well I tried to investigate a little further. I pulled off the distributor cap then turned the engine back and attempted to count how many degrees the crank turned before the distributor started to rotate, and my estimate is about 6 degrees. I also took a couple of videos so you can hear. I doubt I'll be able to investigate this much further as I currently use the car everyday and do not have a second vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJXbHNkXa4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akOQjCqzYkM
Dan

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 11:23:09 PM »
Any thoughts based on the videos?
Dan

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 12:15:53 AM »
I have trouble hearing in person due to my head injury.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 01:16:37 PM »
It sounds more metallic than I expect for a lifter. Try running it without belts (only a minute or two) to eliminate any accessory noise.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 09:30:25 PM »
It sounds more metallic than I expect for a lifter. Try running it without belts (only a minute or two) to eliminate any accessory noise.

Finally got a chance to do this tonight. Took off all the belts, and it didn't make a difference, still made the noise.
Dan

A-A EAGLE

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 05:17:45 AM »
I am pretty sure it has someting to do with the flexplate touching the steel sheets that cover the lower gap of the bellhousing.

ANjo

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 11:50:15 PM »
They do that if the plate is dented OR the torque converter is about to snap it's neck.

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 04:32:38 PM »
To me it sounds like its coming more from the top and and front of the engine, but I cannot pinpoint it. I unplugged the vacuum advance hose today while it was idling in drive, and noise reduced to how it sounds while its idling in park, faint but still there.

Also, after observing under the hood for 5-10 minutes, my clothes really smelled like exhaust, starting to lean toward exhaust manifold leak.

They do that if the plate is dented OR the torque converter is about to snap it's neck.
I am pretty sure it has someting to do with the flexplate touching the steel sheets that cover the lower gap of the bellhousing.

ANjo

The transmission was rebuilt less than 2 years/15,000 miles ago. I'm not saying its impossible, just seams unlikely. It doesn't sound to be coming from the transmission either.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:12:38 PM by ammachine390 »
Dan

A-A EAGLE

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 09:58:58 AM »
Try to use an auto mechanics stethoscope to detect where the sound is coming from. U can use a (long) screwdriver as alternative where the steel core goes trough the grip. Put the end on different spots on the engine and put your ear at the top end and listen. Abit rough but it can help to detect the problem.

Anjo
Holland

A-A EAGLE

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 10:02:28 AM »
Just check if the sound is coming from the bellhousing. I had it several times without a big reason. Most of the time it just touches the metal plates.

Anjo
Holland

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 01:48:50 PM »
Make sure the converter bolts aren't coming loose! I've seen shops tighten only 3 of the 4 in the past.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 09:32:55 PM »
Make sure the converter bolts aren't coming loose! I've seen shops tighten only 3 of the 4 in the past.
x2. I have had them come loose on me before and it sounded like I was about to throw a rod it was so loud.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk