News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 09, 2024, 05:17:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Repainting Hubcaps - Any easy way to do it?  (Read 3629 times)

Offline ANT85MAR

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Repainting Hubcaps - Any easy way to do it?
« on: March 10, 2012, 09:14:09 AM »
I have redone the whole car except for the hubcaps. I had a good look at them yesterday when I was redoning the brake lines & they could use a good restoration. There are 3 colors that have to be painted & it looks like a lot of taping will need to be done with each color.
Any ideas as to an easier way?
Thanks
1980 Eagle 2 door Sedan
1970 Ford Torino GT Fastback 351-4V
1977 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray 350-4V
1986 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2018 Nissan 370Z

Offline TwoEaglesForMe

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Greg
Re: Repainting Hubcaps - Any easy way to do it?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 11:41:59 PM »
I had to re-do my wheelcovers on my 85 sedan.  As I am pretty handy, there really is no "easy"way to do it except lots of time and patience.  I used some really small brushes like you might use for painting model cars.  It's tedious work for sure as those little triangles take forever.  I used a good cleaner/de-greaser first, then primed them, then did a few coats of Argent, then painstakingly did the black triangles.  Taping off the trim ring is easy, as is removing the center part around the lug holes. Should take you about a whole day and a case of beer per cover.  Good luck and remember to take before and after pics.

rohnk

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 12:00:02 AM »
For masking off areas for painting, use electrical tape (black tape) as it stretches and will lay flat going around bends and curves. Don't get the vinyl stuff but rather the stuff that is a little higher quality.

Electrical tape is also a good tape to use for taping off trim that you don't want painted or creating curvy lines like in a "tribal" design. I've even used it to tape off small holes temporarily for washing the car or keeping from dropping screws and bolts in the wrong places.

Show us some before and after pics too! I'd love to see your work.

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 07:59:22 PM »
Well the most recent paint job I did for wheels was to have my beat up old aluminum wheels powder coated.
BEFORE

AFTER

I did repaint some stock hubcaps a while ago.  I used cardboard templates that I cut out to cover areas I didn't want painted or wanted painted with a different colour.  I started by sanding the worst of the gouges out and generally just lightly roughing op the surface.  Then I primed the whole thing.  I went with stock colours ( as close as I could)

See the templates I made.  I painted the black areas first and let the paint dry.  Then put in the tight fitting templates and painted the second colour over them.  Yes, I cut out a whole bunch of the wedge shaped ones, but I only painted one wheel cover at a time.  I also touched up the black on the center caps.

Finished product.

Side by each before & after.

Not a professional job, But they looked 100% better.  I also coated them with 3 coats of satin clear coat to help protect them from the elements and brake dust.

Cheers

No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 09:04:07 PM »
I might be wrong but I believe if I were to do it I would prepair the hubcap and then just spray the black sections without taping off anything.Then I would put sponges in the black sections and then spray the argent silver. Then I would spray the entire cap with a satin clear coat. Then use thinner to remove the paint and clear coat from the polished outer ring and center caps. I have never tried this on a eagle hubcap but I did do it on a set of corvette aluminum wheels and it worked great.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk