News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 09, 2024, 08:22:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Door Bushing Size  (Read 2984 times)

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
Door Bushing Size
« on: March 07, 2012, 03:38:05 PM »
Does anybody know the dimensions of the stock door bushings. Does anyone know if some other brands will fit, or where to get some of the stock size?

Thanks
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: Door Bushing Size
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 05:11:08 PM »
Slight drilling required for the pin, but you can gm pins and bushings, say for a mid 80's midsize rwd, aka montecarlo, grand prix, malibu, Cutlass Supreme, etc, etc, etc. Bushings slide in perfect iirc, I used these for the sx/4, I happen to have a stock of them, don't know why though  ::) :rotfl: .
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 05:15:10 PM »
Slight drilling required for the pin, but you can gm pins and bushings, say for a mid 80's midsize rwd, aka montecarlo, grand prix, malibu, Cutlass Supreme, etc, etc, etc. Bushings slide in perfect iirc, I used these for the sx/4, I happen to have a stock of them, don't know why though  ::) :rotfl: .
The bore varies. Keep the top pin in the top hinge if you can. The bushings are long gone but the bottom pins always seem to need replacing in these cars. I go with copper color nylon bushings in the top and the ribbed metal ones on the bottom. I have NO slack in my door.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 10:41:18 PM »
It has been a while, but I bought bushings from kennedyamerica and I may have bought pins, too.  I'm not sure.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 11:15:15 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Slight drilling required for the pin, but you can gm pins and bushings, say for a mid 80's midsize rwd, aka montecarlo, grand prix, malibu, Cutlass Supreme, etc, etc, etc. Bushings slide in perfect iirc, I used these for the sx/4, I happen to have a stock of them, don't know why though  ::) :rotfl: .

Do you mean the holes on the car have to drilled larger to accept the bushings? Or the bushings have to be drilled larger?
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 07:49:02 AM »
The holes on the hinge have to be slightly enlarged,  the pin is just a hair larger in diameter. The bushings should slide in with no mods needed.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk