News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 18, 2024, 08:37:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looked under the Eagle, got a surprise  (Read 17229 times)

68AMXGOPAC

Re: Looked under the Eagle, got a surprise
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2012, 11:16:12 PM »
Do you remember if there was a series of connected pipes going into the top of the exhaust manifold at each cylinder? There should not have been, since a motor will not have an air injection pump and an air pump. It sounds like they used an air pump piped directly through a check valve to the catalytic converter, similar to the electric pumps on Chevys. That's interesting. I didn't know that option existed. I figured they had a modified pulse-air system. It might help with a station wagon V8 conversion, since Iron Duke station wagons are crazy rare. I would never retain the manifold injection tube while rebuilding the exhaust, but I would consider keeping a catalytic converter injection pump. Did your 360 have double V belts? My '77 401 has redundant V belts everywhere, which I think is neat.
My 73 Javalin AMX had all those tubes to each exhaust manifold leg , I snapped one off trying to get it loose, thinking I could then just put a pipe plug in it. I ditched the original manifods and just stuck on a set of headers to solve it. years later I learned that those manifolds are worth some $$$ as everyone pretty much trashed them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk