News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 19, 2024, 11:15:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: door bushings or new hinges?  (Read 7464 times)

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
door bushings or new hinges?
« on: October 14, 2011, 11:21:45 AM »
on the eagle im getting the drivers door hangs as the bushings are out but the hinges dont seem to have bushing??? am i just blind or will the hinges them selves need replaced?
mixed martial artist are like pit bulls. were highly trained and bred to protect our family, our property, and ourselves. But when someone rattles the cage and gets bit they aim to put us down like their stupidity is our fault. I am a cage fighter, does that mean i want to hurt you outside the cage? No. will i stand there and let you beat me because im trained to fight inside the cage? No. If you pick a fight i will defend my self, regardless of my training or your lack of. if you get hurt i may feel bad but in the end the fault is yours. If your to stupid not to start something you cant finish the i suggest you stay on the porch.

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
Re: door bushings or new hinges?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 01:35:48 PM »
Door hinge bushings are common problems on Eagles. Here is a link to some...hopefully...helpful info: http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=2602.0 :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 09:07:31 AM »
i dont think the hinge is in bad shape it doesnt look bent or anything but the bushings are long gone.
mixed martial artist are like pit bulls. were highly trained and bred to protect our family, our property, and ourselves. But when someone rattles the cage and gets bit they aim to put us down like their stupidity is our fault. I am a cage fighter, does that mean i want to hurt you outside the cage? No. will i stand there and let you beat me because im trained to fight inside the cage? No. If you pick a fight i will defend my self, regardless of my training or your lack of. if you get hurt i may feel bad but in the end the fault is yours. If your to stupid not to start something you cant finish the i suggest you stay on the porch.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 09:26:41 AM »
That i'm almost certain meant to check if th hinge pin wore the hinge hole away. 

Manitowoc WI

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 09:30:17 AM »
ok ill be sure to inspect it better tonight and tomorrow when i get a chance to actually start on it...... or next weekend if i have to finish one of the projects i already have first lmao also any good tips for getting mice out of your car?????

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 09:32:52 AM »
Think like ricky bobby, put a feline in there. I otherwise got nothing.hy

Manitowoc WI

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 09:34:20 AM »
i tried my cat wanted none of that lol im thinking maybe one of those glue pads over night thin find and vac out the little ones  >:D

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 09:53:53 PM »
OE bushings are available at kennedyamerica.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 11:39:27 PM »
Looked on KennedyAmerica seen the bushings but didn't see any pins. Where can one get hinge pins? I have some doors sagging, haven't really bothered to look yet (plus have been super side-tracked with other things). Figure it's just bushings, hoping it's not pins or (worse) the hinges.
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 06:37:57 PM »
I claimed the last 3 at the store and paid but the store is temporarily closed. I assume they can get more.

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 07:28:09 PM »
If the old bushings are still present in the hinges there is a good chance the pins are OK. 
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline neweagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 09:38:59 PM »
In the past I have arc welded really egged out hinges, then re-sized and  re-bushed. Saved hard to find  hinges that way.

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 09:45:41 PM »
Some of us have drilled the hinges and used oversized pins and bushings.
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 11:18:57 AM »
ok ill be sure to inspect it better tonight and tomorrow when i get a chance to actually start on it...... or next weekend if i have to finish one of the projects i already have first lmao also any good tips for getting mice out of your car?????

Put mothballs under it, and maybe a few under the hood and in the trunk. Not too many in the engine and trunk though, you want to be able to breathe when you drive it. They keep most critters away.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 12:56:07 PM »
several people here had posted if you use original bounce sheets, that will keep the mice away.  Mothballs will work also.

with door hinges, the Eagle's Nest Store has bigger pins and bushings.  so you gotta drill them out.

One of the other Nester's here (who lives close to me) went to his local Chrysler dealership, and got the Original bushings that fit perfectly without any drilling.

I will note that you can't have worn hinge holes otherwise, they won't last long.  And then you will have to drill out the holes, and put in the bigger pins and bushings.

the part number I have (for the original bushings) are: J3698103.   

Basically you can have someone hold the door open, tap out the pins, clean out the old bushings, put in the new ones, and then re-aline the door and put the pins back.

that's what I did.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk