News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 09, 2024, 07:25:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: should i re vinyl or paint the top?  (Read 8835 times)

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Re: should i re vinyl or paint the top?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 12:17:34 PM »
looks like i will be revinyling the top!
mixed martial artist are like pit bulls. were highly trained and bred to protect our family, our property, and ourselves. But when someone rattles the cage and gets bit they aim to put us down like their stupidity is our fault. I am a cage fighter, does that mean i want to hurt you outside the cage? No. will i stand there and let you beat me because im trained to fight inside the cage? No. If you pick a fight i will defend my self, regardless of my training or your lack of. if you get hurt i may feel bad but in the end the fault is yours. If your to stupid not to start something you cant finish the i suggest you stay on the porch.

rohnk

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 12:19:15 PM »
What drove you to that decision? Just curious as I'm sure others are. How about some pics!

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 12:29:07 PM »
im looking (hopefullly) to fix it for a show car so it needs to be as close to original as possible. ill have pics soon i just havent had time yet. plus if the price is the same as paint to have it topped and i dont have time to paint it myself i might as well make it original. thinking of a slightly darker color than stock though.... maybe more of the saddle brown found in new jeeps.
mixed martial artist are like pit bulls. were highly trained and bred to protect our family, our property, and ourselves. But when someone rattles the cage and gets bit they aim to put us down like their stupidity is our fault. I am a cage fighter, does that mean i want to hurt you outside the cage? No. will i stand there and let you beat me because im trained to fight inside the cage? No. If you pick a fight i will defend my self, regardless of my training or your lack of. if you get hurt i may feel bad but in the end the fault is yours. If your to stupid not to start something you cant finish the i suggest you stay on the porch.

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 06:19:51 PM »
If you look at the 2 door in my profile you can't quite tell that it is the original vinyl. Although I would never paint it over but I have thought about changing the color or going with the new canvas look. Since there is not even one crack in it I just can't make myself ruin a original roof. Although i have not taken it to any shows yet it is just important to me not to change it. Once you do, it is gone forever and given these cars history of rust and vinyl rot there might not be to many like it in the same condition around. Even some of the sweet looking 2 doors that I have seen for sale all show close up pictures of dry rotted or cracked vinyl.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:26:46 PM by milliard431 »

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 07:59:55 PM »
You can restore it over and over but it will only be original once! That said keep the vinyl top.Wouldn't be the same without it!
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 10:59:44 AM »
looks like the decision is back in the air..... hidden rust traps makes it look like the entire car will need painted  :'( so if it all needs painted i can paint the top rather than vinyl lol

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 11:20:05 AM »
The other thing you can do, especially if you like the look of the vinyl top (or at least want to keep it looking close to stock), is painting the area that's normally covered by vinyl with bedliner/rockguard - has the texture & look of vinyl, but since it's paint, it won't trap moisture & crud like vinyl tends to.
+1 Most vinyl roofs are there because there were flaws originally. I used Deck Kote (rubberized porch paint with tread bits blended in) to do the roof of my '73 Buick Le Sabre back @ '82 and it looked sharp (hid the fiberglass patches I did over the rust holes under the vinyl roof too)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

rohnk

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 12:38:17 PM »
What about painting the top where the vinyl was a different color than the rest of the car? At least then you can have the illusion of a vinyl top. I think it would be cool anyway as I like two tone or multiple color paint schemes.

My 0.02$ now I'm broke!

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 06:54:54 PM »
I wonder if putting truck bed coating on before you redo the roof would help?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk