News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 09, 2024, 12:35:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: should i re vinyl or paint the top?  (Read 8838 times)

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
should i re vinyl or paint the top?
« on: October 11, 2011, 06:48:46 PM »
im purchasing an 85 eagle sedan and one of the only things wrong with it is the vinyl top has shrunk and needs replaced or painted..... a local shop offered to match the price of paint to recover it but does it look better painted? any info would be nice. and look forward to many more questions as i start fixing this up and look for other amc projects  :)
mixed martial artist are like pit bulls. were highly trained and bred to protect our family, our property, and ourselves. But when someone rattles the cage and gets bit they aim to put us down like their stupidity is our fault. I am a cage fighter, does that mean i want to hurt you outside the cage? No. will i stand there and let you beat me because im trained to fight inside the cage? No. If you pick a fight i will defend my self, regardless of my training or your lack of. if you get hurt i may feel bad but in the end the fault is yours. If your to stupid not to start something you cant finish the i suggest you stay on the porch.

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
Re: should i re vinyl or paint the top?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 07:01:01 PM »
If the car is in otherwise great shape and is only going to see sunny days from here on, then get it redone in vinyl.  If you're going to be driving it in rain or snow, or leaving it outdoors year round, and you're not overly concerned with originality, ditch the vinyl and go with paint.

These vinyl tops are major rust traps, especially around the C pillar windows.  My own '81 sedan is a prime example of this problem, and therefore I plan to eventually lose the vinyl.

It's too bad vinyl tops were so in vogue during the '60s, '70s, and '80s... because they sure make life difficult for us restorers all these decades later.
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 07:03:45 PM »
ill post pics this weekend when i go get it... i found it on cl so im shock at the condition for the 1600 im paying for it. no rust no dents all original except the rims and only 75000 original miles. everything is operational and over all id say on a scale of 1-10 its a solid 7.5
mixed martial artist are like pit bulls. were highly trained and bred to protect our family, our property, and ourselves. But when someone rattles the cage and gets bit they aim to put us down like their stupidity is our fault. I am a cage fighter, does that mean i want to hurt you outside the cage? No. will i stand there and let you beat me because im trained to fight inside the cage? No. If you pick a fight i will defend my self, regardless of my training or your lack of. if you get hurt i may feel bad but in the end the fault is yours. If your to stupid not to start something you cant finish the i suggest you stay on the porch.

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 07:48:53 PM »
I vote ditch it.
I find vinyl roof's look terrible on every vehicle, and like El Matedor said, HUGE rust traps, especially the further north you go.

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 08:29:45 PM »
i dont really care for the vinyl top but as im making it a show car would i lose out on wins for painting the top to replicate the vinyl or to match the brown trim? i know there were less than 3k of the 85 sedans made and idk how many are still on the road so im leary on this one of customizing to much.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 01:06:53 AM »
as much as i hate the rust issues they cause i always thought the sedans and coupes looked naked without it.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 12:04:26 PM »
Re-Vinyl the top!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

rohnk

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 12:10:44 PM »
I vote for both. Put a couple of coats of primer on it and a few coats of paint then vinyl over that. Epoxies and adhesives are much better today than 20+ years ago and vinyl is also much better in resisting shrinkage and has UV protection.

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 01:29:44 PM »
I vote for vinyl.  It came with it and I think it looks better with it.  It's obvious, though, it's a matter of opinion. 
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 01:51:53 PM »
The other thing you can do, especially if you like the look of the vinyl top (or at least want to keep it looking close to stock), is painting the area that's normally covered by vinyl with bedliner/rockguard - has the texture & look of vinyl, but since it's paint, it won't trap moisture & crud like vinyl tends to.

I agree with this.  You can get a great spray kit (gun/hopper included) for under $150 and you can have the epoxy dyed to match the original vinyl.  You can do a knock down texture that looks awesome.  This is fun, simple and will last forever.  No rust issues, tearing, etc to worry about.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 02:27:35 PM »
thanks guys i appreciate the input :) i will post pics of the current condition on sat or sunday when i pick it up and will let you all know and update pics when i get the work done.

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 10:36:40 PM »
re-vinyl. The chrome trim is the real problem. They stopped the vinyl just under the edge and the water got stuck behind the trim and rust would eat upward. If you look at any new vinyl or canvas top they run it under the vinyl and fold it under and up. The chrome is then stuck to the vinyl with 3M but with voids that allow water to run through and off. I don't know about up north but in Florida these are extremely common and I have never seen this new type cause rust. The 2 doors look especially stupid when painted. The 4 doors look nice though.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 10:38:40 PM by milliard431 »

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 10:44:50 PM »
Only if it's gonna be some kind of show car, and sheltered properly, driven sparely, then I guess go get it re-vinyled.

But as El Matador (and Regalwizard) put it best, if it's gonna be a Daily driver, outside in the sun, ran, and snow I'd seriously consider ditching the vinyl altogether, and just repaint it.

I see more 2 and 4 door Eagles with those rot areas around the opera windows, and in around the back window (sometimes) that it just floors me.

But that's just my 2 cents worth.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 01:27:58 AM »
Rohnk has a good point the tops installed these days are alot better than the tops of the past, not to mention rust proofing technology is much better. There is alot of good products you can use to protect the metal under the top. My buddy, who builds custom lowriders showed me alot about how the vinyl tops of today are so much better than the tops of yesterday...they actually take rust into consideration these days when installing them.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 05:54:19 PM »
so far there is no rust as its been stored in a barn for years. will be talking with the fab shop next week and will share what i do :)

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 12:17:34 PM »
looks like i will be revinyling the top!

rohnk

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 12:19:15 PM »
What drove you to that decision? Just curious as I'm sure others are. How about some pics!

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 12:29:07 PM »
im looking (hopefullly) to fix it for a show car so it needs to be as close to original as possible. ill have pics soon i just havent had time yet. plus if the price is the same as paint to have it topped and i dont have time to paint it myself i might as well make it original. thinking of a slightly darker color than stock though.... maybe more of the saddle brown found in new jeeps.

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 06:19:51 PM »
If you look at the 2 door in my profile you can't quite tell that it is the original vinyl. Although I would never paint it over but I have thought about changing the color or going with the new canvas look. Since there is not even one crack in it I just can't make myself ruin a original roof. Although i have not taken it to any shows yet it is just important to me not to change it. Once you do, it is gone forever and given these cars history of rust and vinyl rot there might not be to many like it in the same condition around. Even some of the sweet looking 2 doors that I have seen for sale all show close up pictures of dry rotted or cracked vinyl.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:26:46 PM by milliard431 »

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 07:59:55 PM »
You can restore it over and over but it will only be original once! That said keep the vinyl top.Wouldn't be the same without it!
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 10:59:44 AM »
looks like the decision is back in the air..... hidden rust traps makes it look like the entire car will need painted  :'( so if it all needs painted i can paint the top rather than vinyl lol

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 11:20:05 AM »
The other thing you can do, especially if you like the look of the vinyl top (or at least want to keep it looking close to stock), is painting the area that's normally covered by vinyl with bedliner/rockguard - has the texture & look of vinyl, but since it's paint, it won't trap moisture & crud like vinyl tends to.
+1 Most vinyl roofs are there because there were flaws originally. I used Deck Kote (rubberized porch paint with tread bits blended in) to do the roof of my '73 Buick Le Sabre back @ '82 and it looked sharp (hid the fiberglass patches I did over the rust holes under the vinyl roof too)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

rohnk

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 12:38:17 PM »
What about painting the top where the vinyl was a different color than the rest of the car? At least then you can have the illusion of a vinyl top. I think it would be cool anyway as I like two tone or multiple color paint schemes.

My 0.02$ now I'm broke!

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 06:54:54 PM »
I wonder if putting truck bed coating on before you redo the roof would help?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk