News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 05, 2024, 03:16:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: side pipes on a sx4  (Read 11440 times)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: side pipes on a sx4
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 02:25:38 PM »
Just to clarify a couple things here. If a vehicle was a equipped with a catalytic converter and emission eqiupment from the factory it is a FEDERAL law that it has to stay whether you have emissions testing or not. However many people remove them with no consequences.  >:D If you plan on doing any kind of offroading the side pipes will be vulnerable.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 04:58:53 PM »
Having no catalytic doesn't always give the most power. Having some back pressure actually increases torque, so adding a cat can give more power (and keeps  the air clean and keeps it legal too).
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 11:47:52 PM »
Im on the fence with my cat. too. Tougheagle talked me into keeping it stock. I dont have emissions in my county but If I ever move or they change the local laws Ill be in a world of hurt.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline pigonawing

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 04:40:40 PM »
well guys sad too say but i dont car about emissions if i would get stopped there are a thousand other safety  issues with the car haha so i think exhaust would be my last worry im just a broke guy trying to get by with what i have the car leaks smells rattles smokes and wines but it gets me where i need to go and i must say looks good getting there except the smoke haha aka valve cover leak. oh and no gas gage or turn signals either my list is to long and now i have a passenger wheel bearing that is getting very loud and i have been told that this is no easy fix either so the pipes may be forgotten for awhile she needs more power but the bearing comes first. wish i knew a good machine shop around omaha i have been quoted 350 to fix it that is some bs

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 04:59:34 PM »
Mike, if you need help with any repairs I am willing to lend a hand.  I'm curious what all shops you checked with.  I know I gave you Dynamic Auto Repair's number.  They have been good to me, but I have used another shop as well as a mobile mechanic who is great. 
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 05:56:16 PM »
Not sure what shops you checked with for the repair.  I think I sent you my friend Dave's shop info, Dynamic Auto Repair.  Did you chech with him? 

I sent you two other mechanics/shops I have used regularly who are honest and have had the lowest prices when I have been shopping around town for help. 

I sent them as a message on facebook.  Both places have worked on my Eagle.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 01:10:48 PM »
Sounds like Mike has the wheel bearing reapir scheduled.  The mobile mechanic that helped me when my Eagle was stalled in the driveway in November '09 is hooking him up with a deal.  That reapir goes down tomorrow.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 04:52:25 PM »
Have not updated this topic in quite awhile.  Pigonawing has had his Eagle back on the road for about 2 weeks.  The low mileage transmission I got in South Dakota is serviced and installed.  The SX/4 runs great again. 

I went out to Pigonawing's work today to check out the dual lake pipe exhaust he installed on the SX/4 last week (IIRC).  Looks good to me.  Here are a few shots of it...

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 07:09:14 PM »
Looks good.  I'd be worried about all that heat next to the plastic rocker covers though.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 07:30:10 PM »
We thought of that.  The pictures are kind of deceiving.  The pipes are mounted more under the car.  They are not right on the rocker covers.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk