News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:47:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weak power seat controls  (Read 1640 times)

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Weak power seat controls
« on: December 28, 2021, 08:52:25 PM »
I've been fighting with the controls on my power seats for years. Originally when I got them I could only go back and fourth. New switch assemblies are still available but they cross-reference to a Corvette part and are VERY expensive so instead I dismantled, cleaned and rebuilt the switch assemblies and that got back all the directions of control but some motors were still weak going one direction. Pulled the power seat carriage, cleaned and regreased everything and with the seat removed and the carriage plugged into the harness it still ran like garbage. I'd blame weak motors or springs but for example if you use the rear switch to raise the back of the seat its weak but if you use the joystick which raises both the front and back of the seat its fine, so there's poor connections somewhere.

Now its losing directions again and on one occasion I moved the seat forward while driving and couldn't move it back until I got home and messed with it. Just wiggling the molded connector that mates with the switch assemblies seems to affect things but it feels pretty solidly attached.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Weak power seat controls
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 11:39:14 AM »
I'm pretty sure these switches are the same as found in 80s Fords because I've looked for them in the junkyard before.  I may have a spare one of those laying around, let me see if I can find it over the weekend and get you some pictures.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: Weak power seat controls
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 02:30:43 PM »
Cadillac used them as well. Almost all '70s cars used them. Most small parts were outsourced. Therefore auto manufactures used the same parts.
'80s Cadillac also had the same mirrors except they said Cadillac. So I would guess the seat motors would be usable.
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk