News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:19:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Year Model?  (Read 819 times)

Offline Longhunter

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Year Model?
« on: March 22, 2022, 04:41:50 PM »
Hello all,
             Still stationed here in Germany. Was doing AMC Eagle shopping on some foreign sites and came across an AMC Eagle for sale in France. The seller lists it as a 1981. My issue is (see attached photo) that the 4WD selector lacks the "slide lever" to engage the 4WD. This leads me to believe he has listed the wrong year. It is my understnding looking at the photo that the vehicle is at least a 1985 or newer. Am I correct?
Also, were any Eagles produced in France or anywhere close to there? I am interested in the vehicle but in order to bring it back to the US it needs to be US specs. Perhaps there is some waiver in that due to vehicle age?

Thank you,
                 Longhunter

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Year Model?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 07:33:45 PM »
My eyes are seeing the slide lever, but the radio is a dead give away.  The DIN model radios were introduced in the 85 models, I believe, so I'm thinking this is not an 81.  Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
Re: Year Model?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 10:47:17 PM »
Doesn't look like a slide switch, but the toggle/pivot lever switch, like on my '86.

There should be stickers on the firewall in the engine bay, and the VIN plate, and stickers on the driver's door frame-posts.

My '86 was made in Brampton, Ontario, Canada for a U.S. model spec that was originally sold in Texas.

I'm guessing that this one was originally sold on a U.S. base in Europe. Check those stickers.
But, somewhere I heard some were sold in Switzerland.

The radio band range was (is?) slightly different in Europe than in the U.S., so it may have been sold with a DIN spec radio before that was standard in North America.

What's with the different rims? And different roof racks? And one has door bump markers and the other doesn't. Different badges on the side.
Are these photos of the one for sale, or of 'similar'?

Where in France? Could be a nice weekend trip, when you're not on call.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk