News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 01:52:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A/C Hose from Compressor to Evaporator - How to replace??  (Read 1432 times)

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • You can do it right, or do it twice.
A/C Hose from Compressor to Evaporator - How to replace??
« on: June 20, 2021, 03:03:23 PM »
So I'm in the dash replacing my heater core, and am also going to retrofit to R134a while I'm at it. So I figured I would get Hoseman to make me up two new compressor hoses. The Compressor to Condenser hose is simple.

However, the Compressor to Evaporator has me stumped.

It runs through the firewall to a gooey wrap (which I have no interest in exploring) as near as I can tell, and seems to run right into the Evaporator.

I would think there is a way to remove and replace the hose without pulling the evaporator. Can anyone shed some light on what I'm missing?

Any tips for retrofitting to R134a (which oil to use, what to replace other than the green o-rings, etc?). I've already had a radiator shop flush and test my condenser and drier.

Thanks!
'82 Eagle SX/4, 4.2L 5 speed - Father / Daughter Build

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: A/C Hose from Compressor to Evaporator - How to replace??
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 05:09:06 PM »
Afraid I can't help out there -- AMC evap hoses are one of the few AMC jobs I've never done!   Altho I have seen many AMC's (my Sundancer for one) where someone has added a hose splice at the firewall to replace only the splice-to-compressor hose segment without ripping into the dash.   Not a good option IMHO; but an option nonetheless.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 05:12:43 PM »
Perhaps I'm making more of a job than I need to out of this. Should I just replace the o-ring on the evap to compressor hose and call it a day? Figured I would replace hoses as they've been in service since Reagan's first term, but maybe some things should just be left alone.

Anyone have any tips for an R134a conversion?

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 10:02:11 PM »
Someone correct me if wrong but I think under the wrap is a Thermal eXpansion Valve and the wrap is just insulation to deal with condensation.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 11:29:57 PM »
I haven't done a 134 conversion on any of my AMC's yet - I just use one of the R12 drop-in replacements (Freeze-12) instead.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 11:56:47 PM »
Someone correct me if wrong but I think under the wrap is a Thermal eXpansion Valve and the wrap is just insulation to deal with condensation.

This sounds right. It's hard to see right now but it seems that there is more than just the condenser hose wrapped up in that blob. I have an '82 TSM and in reading the removal and replacement instructions for the evaporator, you need to remove the package tray (done), column cover (done) and then the Instrument Panel Center Housing (crap below the ac and radio), the radio, the center vents and then the next step is to remove the inlet and discharge hoses.

I'm wanting to remove the inlet hose at minimum, so according to the TSM once I remove another huge chunk of dash then I should be able to access them. I guess I should do this now as I've already come this far and I really want my air to work. Here in So Cal it's a huge deal.

I'm going to tear into this again tomorrow, but I certainly welcome any advise from someone who has done an R134a conversion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk