News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:51:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Power door locks and door card removal  (Read 2073 times)

Offline charlie D

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Power door locks and door card removal
« on: August 17, 2020, 08:43:52 AM »
New to the Eagle and this forum. I have an 86 wagon with power door locks. They do not work, I can hear the click, but nothing engages. Additionally, I can lock manually, but it is very, very stiff. If nothing else, I want them to be easier to work manually. Is there anything tricky about removing the interior door cards, front and rear? Also drivers side window only goes down to about 2" above opening. Passenger side OK. Is that normal or should I look to change the position of the stop while I have access.Thanks
Charlie D

Offline Mitch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 11
Re: Power door locks and door card removal
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 11:43:48 AM »
Door panels are easy to remove. There are several screws around the outside edge of the panel, two screws holding the door handle cup,(hold the handle in the open position to remove the cup), four screws holding the armrest, (two vertical holding the trim and two big ones holding the rest to the door that will be revealed when the trim is removed), and one screw holding the window crank handle, [unless it has electric windows, in which case simply remove the screws holding the trim around the switch(es), or unplug the wires as you are removing the panel]. When all is removed lift the panel up off the door frame. Other than that, if it has mirror remotes they are held on with a clip on the back side of the panel. Hope I didn't forget anything. Oh, if there are speakers in the door panels you can probably just remove the wires leaving them intact.

Here's a thread where the owner dealt with the issue you're having.

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=37053.msg300544#msg300544

The window should go all the way down.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 11:49:57 AM by Mitch »

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 01:31:52 PM »
I'm fixing the same lock issue on my '85 right now.  Its simply the latch assemblies being gunked up with 35-year-old dried grease.  After removing the latch assemblies from the door, I soaked them for a day or two in my solvent vat (scrubbing them out best as possible with a toothbrush), then put them in my carb cleaner vat for about 6 hours.  After rinsing out the carb cleaner and blasting them out with Brake Clean they looked like new.  I then regreased with white silicone grease and reinstalled.

Also gutted the doors and replaced the window frame seals and greased up the rollers/tracks where needed - did that so I could install a set of vent shades I had on the shelf (and the old seals were way rotten - was like chiseling out ceramic tile!).

One other note - do not buy those replacement aftermarket lock actuators - they are 100% crap.  Not enough power to unlock a brand new latch.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Run-AMC

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 08:53:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Lol I bought aftermarket lock actuators.
1982 Eagle Wagon Limited in Super Brown

More young men should work on old cars.

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 10:36:46 AM »
Well; good luck with them!   I tried 2 (to be sure the first one wasn't a defective), then immediately returned them for a refund.   Funny; the "motor-looking" silver thing on the aftermarket units is just a decorative cap to make you think there is a decent-sized motor under it!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline charlie D

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 06:07:02 AM »
Thanks guys for the responses. Will let you know how it goes.
Charlie D

Offline charlie D

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 07:52:07 AM »
Just realized I never followed up on this. George, AMC of Houston, was correct. Actuators just gunked up, cleaned and lubed and then they worked fine. Reason driver's window only went down part way was door speaker had fallen down and was blocking the actuator. Both door speakers ratty, so they were replaced.
Thanks for the advice!
Charlie D

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 11:13:50 AM »
Glad you got it fixed with minimal drama!!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7