News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:29:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Periodic/Preventative Maintenance on the 4x4 System  (Read 5112 times)

Offline djvanyel

• RAWK Star
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
Periodic/Preventative Maintenance on the 4x4 System
« on: November 19, 2015, 09:56:57 AM »
So I didn't see this topic covered anywhere, so thought I'd poll the group:

I've seen off-hand mentions of things that should be done to the driveline when a car's been sitting in storage a while. Since my '83 can now move under her own power again and is about to emerge from 10+ years in "stasis" in the dealer service department, I'm checking off the last of the "things to do" but haven't done anything with any of the driveline parts. After sitting for so long (and given the mileage), I would think some of the gear oils should probably be refreshed, but I've read that opening the differentials to change the fluid can be highly invasive, making it not seem like a "routine maintenance" item. I have yet to obtain a copy of the TSM to see if there's any mention of it, but thought maybe someone here could shed some light on it. I'm a firm believer in "if it 'ain't broke, don't fix it" but I also don't want to lunch anything on the road because of a simple maintenance item that got lost in the ages and wasn't done.

Thoughts?
'94 Crown Vic P71 (my baby) [permanently out to pasture :'( ]
'96 Crown Vic P71 (the new beast) [the primary driver]
'83 Eagle Sport Wagon [almost flying again]
'87 Eagle Sedan [running!]
'80 Honda Accord HB (aka Boing Boing) [the little one]

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: Periodic/Preventative Maintenance on the 4x4 System
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 12:20:28 PM »
I did not change fluids in my car when I got it from PO and I'm now rebuilding the front diff. It had a little water in it . Maybe condensation IDK, but it was enough to trash the bearings. You have 10 bolts and a gasket so it's not extreme. Check your vent tubes also. Around here mud daubers love to plug that stuff up.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:22:12 PM by mo.eagles »
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 04:50:49 PM »
You have 10 bolts and a gasket so it's not extreme.

I didn't think it was possible to remove the cover from the front diff unless you dropped the front axle assembly out of the car.  There just isn't a whole lot of room there!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 05:37:18 PM »
Yeah if you got the front diff cover off without dropping the front axle assembly please tell us how you did it. When I changed the fluid in my 86 wagon I used a 12 volt vacuum pump and some step down vacuum hoses. Only way I found to do it.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 07:08:17 PM »
I have a vacuum suction cool thingy, and I sucked/vacuumed out the fluid and I replaced it!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline amchornet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 06:00:27 AM »
I think there are only 5 bolts and you can loosen the front axle enough to get the cover off,
Joe Washburn
1976 hornet sedan 258 4.0 head mpfi
1985 eagle sedan 4.0 mpfi
1998 jeep grand

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 11:13:58 AM »
Best way is to drop it and remove the cover completely.  This way you can fully inspect the gears and clean out any sludge.

I put the front on ramps, disconnect and tie up CV axles.  Remove driveshaft at front yoke (the shaft will sit neatly on the exhaust out of the way).  There are 5 bolts total.  Two going down into the diff from the drivers side motor mount (hardest to get to)  I used a few extensions to get a socket down through the manifolds to the bolts, 5/8" I believe.  Two more bolts below near the yoke and one bolt on the passenger side.  Lower it with a jack, being careful not to stress the vent line which is secured near the vapor canister by a sheet metal screw.  It's maybe 90 pounds.

I suppose you could leave the one bolt on the passenger side installed but loosened to act as a hinge.  That would keep it lined up and make it easier.  Disconnect axles will have a vacuum line or two near the passenger side you'll want to watch out for.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 06:17:52 PM »
You guys are right, I deserve this beating . My diff is on the work bench so I didn't even THINK about it in the car . When mine goes back in it will have a drain plug . IDK if it will be in the cover or bottom of diff housing yet .
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 09:04:12 PM »
No beating required.  Just wanted to clarify for those undertaking this job that it is a somewhat involved project. 
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 05:12:27 AM »
hi, changing front diff fluid in an Eagle has always been, and always will be, a PITA! Here is what i did. first of all, if the car has been sitting for 10+ years, you DEFINITELY need to change the fluid. Just from condensation, no movement, air, etc, is is probably very contaminated. This is true of ALL your fluids, brake fluid, oil, power steering, etc. I recommend you flush/change them ALL. But this post is about the front diff, so here goes. I'm in the middle of an 84 Eagle resto., had the front axle out, pulled the cover, and a bit of old fluid (probably from 1984!) came out, along with an ungodly amount of brown goop, dirty and chunky. Remarkably, diff is still OK. Anyway, I cleaned it all out. Sorry, the best (only?) way to do this is to drop the front diff out, take cover off, drain, clean, refill, reseal with new gasket, torque to spec, and reinstall, basically a weekend project if you have a friend helping and you supply the pizza and beer! Now, how to make this easier in the future? You are on the right track with wanting a bottom drain plug. Heres what I did. I purchased a Dana 30 diff cover from www.yourcovers.com. PML. Not cheap, but real good USA made quality. It has a bottom drain plug. But.. will not fit the Eagle as is, it;s too tall. I had it machined down about 1/2" , mostly the fins, now it fits but,, no access to the front fill plugs, so I had a hole drilled and tapped (NPT) on the PASSENGER side, to use as a fill hole. All is good now.! BTW< change your rear diff fluid as well. this is a lot easier.good luck. gz

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 12:14:54 AM »
I'm swapping out my front diff, but I'll have a drain plug in the new one, figure out how much it takes to fill after draining, and make the breather into a fill tube too. I thought about adding a dipstick that can be put in when not driving to check it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk