News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 03:39:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AC Thermostat Part # & Testing  (Read 9730 times)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: AC Thermostat Part # & Testing
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 12:39:50 AM »
Gotcha-Thanks for checking.  I'm hoping he'll take a return.  I've ordered one of the correct ones now.  How do you get access to where its mounted?

Hey Dubv If you still have that unit, post a pic. If it looks like this, it's for a Grand Wagoneer and someone on IFSJA.org is looking for it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 12:41:28 AM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Artmodels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2022, 12:18:42 AM »
I experienced a loss of ac today.  Just blew hot air, all of a sudden.  I thought that perhaps I had a freon leak because compressor clutch was not activating. I hooked up a pressure gauge to low pressure side of compressor, and there was high pressure.

So, after checking /bypassing pressure switch, still no power to the compressor.  Then, I disassembled the whole center dash and glovebox area to backtrack the power line.  The fan/compressor activation switch had good power, checked the thermostat switch, good.  Finally found the problem, the little copper  contacts that touch each other, off of the max ac, ac, heat, bi level, defrost lever cam part inside the control assembly(called "micro switch" on the ac wiring diagram) were not quite touching.  I cleaned off the points contact, slightly bent the copper tabs so they would touch again when the cam pushed them together.

Success!  Now ac is working great again.  When I bought the 83 eagle last week, the ac had not been working for years, according to previous owner.  It still had the original r12, still had pressure in the lines, believe it or not.  We drained the r12, blew out as much of the old oil we could, then put a r134 adapter nipple on the low pressure side, and filled with one large bottle of auto part store off the shelf refrigerant refill. Ac now blows out vents at about 36 degrees.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 12:21:59 AM by Artmodels »

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2022, 08:52:59 AM »
Nice, glad to hear. Did you add any new 134 oil to the system? Im currently in the process of fixing up my AC, however since the condenser was damaged, I am modifying a modern parallel flow condenser from a honda to fit.
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline Artmodels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2022, 11:01:44 AM »
Yes, the ester oil, which works with both types of refrigerant

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk