News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 01:47:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dimensions?  (Read 2128 times)

Offline youngkyle

• certified license to ill.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
Dimensions?
« on: February 02, 2014, 12:17:00 AM »
I was looking a while back at some posts about camping and although it was a wagon, someone made some sort of bed in the back for camping.  My family goes camping as much as possible, so naturally I was interested.  I'm sure people here know I want an sx4, but I'd still like to do something like that, so I was wondering if anyone knew the dimensions of the interior. I mean, if I was to lay down, with my head by the hatch so I can sleep with my head in the stars, and my feet by the seat.  I really wouldn't care if my feet stuck through the seats in the front, I'd just be concerned if I kicked it out of gear while I was sleeping and it rolled somewhere.  so anyway I was wondering if anybody knew the dimensions or could get them.  I'd just like to know if something could be fashioned so I could do it.

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
Re: Dimensions?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 11:08:22 AM »
It would be pretty cramped sleeping in the back of an sx4.  I can barely fit my skis diagonally in the back of mine.

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 11:18:02 AM »
I figured it would be cramped, but I was thinking with the seat crammed forward, maybe it would be do able.   maybe It's a lost cause though.

Offline Monkeyjoe

• What greater man is than one who gives his life for his friends
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
  • If you want to look common, buy a Ferrari
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 11:32:38 AM »
Well, I am 6'4" and 210 lbs, I slept in the back of my SX/4 on a road trip, It was cramped but worked in a pinch.  I did have my feet between the seats, both seats were inclined forward and the transmission in 1st gear with the emergency brake on.  never felt concerned about kicking it out of gear.   I did end up sleeping with me feet against the driver side door and seat.   I wouldn't ever plan to camp like that, I did it just because I was falling asleep behind the wheel and just had to stop to get a couple of hours of rest. 

I did camp out in the 84 wagon I used to have and it was pretty good.  just put a 2" foam pad down and left the rear hatch open for air. 

I camp in my 1964 slide in Travel Queen Camper now.  It is really big for a camper,  I load it into Big Red, my 1992 Dodge D350, 12 Valve Cummins, Dually, and pull the SX/4 or my Scout behind for running around or trail fun when I get where I am going.
I JUST TELL MY WIFE "SOME PEOPLE COLLECT STAMPS"
1982 AMC Eagle SX4, (Little Beast)
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon, (Gold Digger)
1992 Dodge, Cummins, 1 Ton Duelly (Big Red)
1967 International Scout 800 (Scooter)
1988 Chevy k1500
1960 Ford F100
1927 Model T, Hotrod(Daddys Girl)
1961 Willys FC150 (Scat)
1978 Honda CB750
1971 Honda CB350

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 12:28:12 PM »
I honestly don't know how tall I am, just about the average size male of my age I guess.  I grew up having to either share a tent or a camper bed with my brother, so I think I'd be fine with the cramped situation.  I was worried about kicking it out of gear, but I forgot about the brake. also I could chock the wheels.  But If you could do it, I think it would work for me.  no harm in finding out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk