News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 06:53:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What Steering Wheels Will Work on Eagles?  (Read 3391 times)

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
What Steering Wheels Will Work on Eagles?
« on: January 29, 2014, 08:26:09 PM »
I'm looking into sending my original steering wheel off to be recovered in leather. I have the three spoke leather wrapped wheel, but I'm going to start looking for a wheel I can use temporary while my mine would be refurbished. 

So my question is, what all years, makes, and models are interchangeable with the three spoke style that I have?

Will the plastic rectangle horn style from Eagles work as well? How early of an AMC wheel with fit?

I know it is a GM steering column, so I imagine there would be several GM wheels that would even work, along with Jeep wheels. 

I'm wanting to start shopping around (mostly on eBay), for a good deal. Or if there's any members on here that have a spare steering wheel that will work, I may be interested for a reasonable price . Color doesn't matter much, as this will only be used temporarily.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:07:57 PM by TLC87Eagle »
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
Re: What Steering Wheels Will Work on Eagles?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 09:49:44 PM »
The 4-spoke wheel with the rectangular horn button is the standard Eagle steering wheel.

I have a surplus wheel. It comes complete with the horn button. If you're interested please PM me. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 10:28:06 PM »
Almost any AMC or jeep wheel from70 and up will work, maybe all

My spirit has a nice wheel from a j10 I got at the pick n pull

Since it's a GM column I would guess a lot of GM cars would work from the same era
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 11:19:02 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I've found a good source of info that answered my question to the T. I figured I'd share so that this post may be helpful to others looking for steering wheel options. These wheels are all interchangeable and should bolt on Eagles.

-1974-88 American Motors (expect Alliance)

-Buick 1969-93 (except telescoping steering column)

-Cadillac 1969-89 All Models (except telescoping steering column)

-Camaro 1969-94

-Chevrolet 1969-94 all model (except Corvette, Sprint, Spectrum `86-88 nova)

-Chevrolet/GMC Truck pick-ups 1974-94

-Chevy/GMC Vans 1982-94

-El Camino 1969-87

-1978-81 Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth, Tilt col All models

-1979-81Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth Tilt col, 2WD & 4 WD pick-up, vans.

-Jeep 1976-1995 CJ5, CJ6, CJ7, Wrangler,Cherokee, Wagoneer, Pick-Up, Scrambler, Commanche.

-Oldsmobile 1969-93 (except telescoping steering column)

-Pontiac 1969-93 all models (expect 1988-on LeMens).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:21:22 PM by TLC87Eagle »
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk