News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 24, 2024, 04:22:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Snow chains  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Snow chains
« on: December 15, 2013, 08:37:02 PM »
My work takes takes me all over the place and the Eagle is my primary vehicle. Switching to studded snows but wondering about snow chains mainly for starting out from a stop on really gnarly unmaintained roads in bumper deep snow or packed ice on steep hills.

If I'm not mistaken you want to run chains on all 4 wheels on a FT4WD so one end doesn't grab more than another and blow up the VC, right?

What chains (not cables) do you guys recommend?
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
Re: Snow chains
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 11:08:24 PM »
I would not run chains on one end of a 4WD equipped with a viscous coupling or any other automated all-wheel drive for the reason you stated.

For the conditions you describe you should get tire chains with crossbars on the traction chains. You may have to special-order. Virtually all that I've seen in the stores are the cable variety.  :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 04:11:04 PM »
If you switch tcases so you have a locked 4 high then rear chains only is fine.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 10:13:37 PM »

Yeah, I like my FT4WD tho. One of these days I'll be swapping in the 229.
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 10:38:09 PM »
You can go NP229 or NP228, which has 2wd, 4wd hi full time and 4wd low part time.
You can go NP219, which has 4wd hi full time, 4wd hi part time (Edrive) and 4wd low locked. (I'm selling one of those for $150 in Seattle)

NP208 has 2wd hi, 4wd pt hi/lo and with the front axle unlocked, you could have 2wd low (great for pulling trailers)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 11:53:47 AM »

Yeah, I like my FT4WD tho. One of these days I'll be swapping in the 229.

This is part of why I'm primarily installing the NP242. You have full time AWD as well as a fully locked 4WD. You could actually have chains with either, since the full time position in the NP242  is open differential. It will adjust accordingly without damage. There is very little to be gained with a viscous coupling and the rare time that it will make a difference I'll be in "part-time" with immediate response instead of delayed, weak response.

The Eagle transfer case can last a long time in all wheel drive. I've never had one fail and I have several that have over 200K without ever being put into 2WD. I blame the majority of failures on the viscous coupling actually. When the tiny, crappy Oring lets some of the silicon fluid out into the case it eats up bearings like sand.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:55:47 AM by captspillane »
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk