News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:30:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just a reminder regarding water pumps...  (Read 14660 times)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Just a reminder regarding water pumps...
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 01:37:03 AM »
You can get that pipe for a 4.0L and it will work. Replacement pumps are cheaper to make without that piece on it. The pump is the same as Grand Cherokee and Wrangler 4.0L pumps except the pulley offset.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline j2sax

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 10:04:54 AM »
Serpentine or non-serpentine has nothing to do with Fed or CA certs or A/C- Non A/C.  It was just the progression from the old, V Belt set up to the modern Serpentine, though it was not pulled off very well with the 258's. 

Serpentine belts have much larger contact area with their driven components and are less prone to heat/stretch issues.  Additionally, they are suPPOSed to be easier to change (and on most vehicles are!) since one broad belt is used to drive all components (at least that's the way it is on MOST vehicles) with one adjustment point or tensioner.  Unfortunately on the 258 it really wasn't planned as well as it could have been and is a marginal system a bit more difficult to deal with than it should be, though it is not untenable. 

One thing with the Serp system is it is much more difficult to "lose the emissions" components to those who are so inclined.  Many have made the mistake of reverting to the old Vbelt system, without planning to change the water pump with it!

I believe the change to V Belts occurred after the Chrysler Purchase in 86, however, I had an 88 with V Belts and I have had an 86 with Serpentine. 

Have a great week!

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 10:48:34 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up guys. I was just wondering about that.
NAPA or (Never Any Parts Available)  ;D said the threaded kind was all they could get.
At least in my area anyways, but the majority of parts workers in my area are not that knowledgeable, especially about AMCs, so who knows. ;D
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline greymarooneightytwo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 01:18:32 PM »
I can say for certain either, but '82 is v belt, original configuration, and the only other one I've ever seen under the hood of in person was an 84 with the v belts...

Now that you mention it though, "Chrysler" seems like a great scapegoat, I like that!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 03:37:42 PM »
Just to fuel this a little more, I can't find any mention in my '80 manual of serpentine belts, but from an '82 Jeep TSM I see than serpentine belts were available for certain (unspecified) sixes.

NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline greymarooneightytwo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
Ah, well if it was that early we can't blame Chrysler!

Of course it's that early, or parts stores wouldn't be likely to have both listed for my car, D'oh!

Offline SouthernBird

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 10:42:05 AM »
I have an '87 Eagle that is in need of a standard water pump - I tossed an aluminum auto zone one (and an AZ fan clutch) on there last year and i think it might have been the cause of her melt down. Does she require an original heavy cast water pump or has anyone out there put one of these easy to find, cheap aluminum ones with positive results?

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 11:09:51 PM »
A cheap one may or may not work. If the casting is sloppy and the impeller not pressed on right it's just junk.

The impeller needs to clear the casting by .070 to .050. You can adjust them fit with a wood block and a hammer. Too much gap, over .100, and it quickly looses pumping efficiency.

A sloppy casting can have thick or thin walls in the hose connections that will cause leaks.

Aluminum or iron doesn't matter, but an '87 should be aluminum from the factory. As long as the rotation is correct.

Hesco and Flowkooler make "high-performance" pumps.

Also, beware that the 4.0 pumps used a steel pipe screwed into the pump body instead of the usual 3/4 line barb for the heater return line. You have to get a nipple, some 1/2" line, and a reducer to adapt it if you don't have that steel line handy.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 04:16:11 PM »
That steel line should come with the pump. If not, it's available on the "Help!" rack in most stores
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk