News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 17, 2024, 09:11:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Center console gauge package  (Read 11981 times)

Offline greymarooneightytwo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
Center console gauge package
« on: January 29, 2013, 05:33:17 PM »
I'm planning on moving the gauge cluster from the center console near the shifter to the top of the dash, in the storage area above the heater/stereo.

Anyone else considered this before?

My only concern is how bare the center console will look at that point, so I'm looking for ideas about what to do with the space.

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Center console gauge package
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 05:36:36 PM »
Its been done.

i have a cb in there. mine however never had the gauge option.

Manitowoc WI

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 06:10:44 PM »
I love the gauges I just don't like the idea of having to look down while I'm driving... I'm trying to find an afr gauge to replace the clock with, one that will look nice with the other three.

I put a small cb where my ashtray went, it fit nearly perfectly.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 09:31:10 PM »
That would be cool if you could pull it off, putting the gauges up top like that.  The trick will be getting the face plate to be vertical, as the opening up there is slanted.  They made some of the center consoles with out gauges, just kind of a little catch all bucket instead.  If you could find one of those, or at least the bucket piece, it would look really good.

The CB looks really good there!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 03:04:54 AM »
I guess this guy has already done it:

http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=35480.0;topicseen

I think I found my project for the weekend...

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 08:57:02 AM »
Are you planning to use the stock gauges?  I don't know if you've taken your console apart before, but they aren't really gauges like you would buy.  It looks like Tougeagle used aftermarket gauges.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 06:13:59 PM by vangremlin »
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 01:09:45 PM »
Do you think it will prove challenging to do so?

I had intended on moving the stock gauges, then eventually upgrading them.

I was hoping to move the vac gauge all the way to the left, put an afr in after that, and then keep the battery and oil pressure gauges.

It really doesn't make a difference to me though, as the only functional one right now is the battery meter, so putting new ones in will likely be the same amount of work as troubleshooting the existing ones.

What would you suggest?

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 09:49:15 PM »
Excuse how fuzzy the pictures are, but this is what you'll find when you open up the console.  Instead of individual gauges, there is a "pod" that contains the gauges, which you can see are just the faces with the guts behind them, but not a housing or case for the individual gauges.  The pod is about 3-3/8" tall, plus another 1/2" for the tabs, so I'm not sure it would fit in the cubby hole above the radio.  Plus the gauges get their power and leads from the printed circuit ribbon on the back, so if you want to move them around you would have to rewire the whole thing.  And I think the two middle ones are the only interchangable ones, the others are different sizes and connect to the pod differently.

If you're planning to switch to aftermarket gauges, I would recommend you do that right from the start.  Find some sort of plastic to use as the face plate, install the aftermarket gauges, and then you wont be cutting up a good shifter console.  Let me know if you have any questions or if the pictures are too blurry.

1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 11:40:13 PM »
Ahhh, I see, thank you. I had expected individual little gauges within.

Rewiring them would be a non-issue, I'm handy enough with a soldering iron... but I think you're right, I should spare the shift console the pain.

The clock still works, the vac still works, the battery still works... just no oil pressure for some reason, and I already tried replacing the oil pressure sensor... could be a wiring issue, I haven't checked for continuity.

If I can find someone who would like to trade and pay the shipping, I would be willing.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 12:01:39 AM »

Rewiring them would be a non-issue, I'm handy enough with a soldering iron... but I think you're right, I should spare the shift console the pain.

The clock still works, the vac still works, the battery still works... just no oil pressure for some reason, and I already tried replacing the oil pressure sensor... could be a wiring issue, I haven't checked for continuity.

You're right, the re-wiring would be pretty easy, you can just run the wires directly to the connections on the back, wouldn't even have to do any soldering. 

I suspect the problem with your oil gauge is just a poor connection where the wiring harness plugs into the back of the gauge cluster.  You can unplug the connector and clean it off with steel wool.  Just make sure you disconnect the battery, as there is constant power because of the clock, and the steel wool can catch on fire.  Been there, done that lol.
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 10:22:27 PM »
My AC vent lives in that cubby
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
My AC vent lives in that cubby

Those of us that are cool-air challenged don't have that problem  :rotfl:
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 11:47:31 PM »
I totally agree that is the better location for gauges, but I couldn't live without the cold stuff that pours outta the vents. Not unless I had removable windows in back. Brutal summers here.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 04:45:21 AM »
Being Alaskan, AC is a not just a nonessential, it's a non-issue, completely useless.

I see 85 degrees here every so often, but not usually much higher than that.

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 10:40:34 AM »
Hey greymarooneightytwo I have the cubby hole piece you need for your console once you remove your gauges.Its in perfect condition and its yours if you want it. Just pm me your shipping address and it will be on its way. You won't find one cheaper then that.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 11:24:28 AM »
I'm planning on moving the gauge cluster from the center console near the shifter to the top of the dash, in the storage area above the heater/stereo.

Anyone else considered this before?

My only concern is how bare the center console will look at that point, so I'm looking for ideas about what to do with the space.
That CB does look good sitting where it is..
I'm going to have to do that.. I've got a 1 DIN DVD player that is going in the radio spot..
I don't have working AC at this time but here in Kansas it's going to be wanted at some point. Trying to see if I can custom make a console for new gauges. But up north that would be a nice look.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 12:29:29 PM »
Van Gremlin, that's interesting info there. I always thought they were individual gauges in there too. Never expected everything to be one piece like that.
1995 Jeep Cherokee "Bleep"

No pic here - BlackBird - My '86 AMC Eagle wagon

R.I.P Old Rusty - My '91 F150

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 07:29:54 PM »
Van Gremlin, that's interesting info there. I always thought they were individual gauges in there too. Never expected everything to be one piece like that.

Yes some wise member of the Eagle Nest passed that onto to me previously, so I'm just paying it forward.

Here are some better pictures of what the stock gauge  setup looks like:

1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk