News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 03:39:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Air-cleaner blocking choke?  (Read 1944 times)

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
Air-cleaner blocking choke?
« on: October 27, 2012, 11:26:28 AM »
Ok...it seems whenever I take off my air cleaner assembly to clean the carb or whatnot, when I put it back on my choke never works right...like something is blocking it from operating correctly.  It seems like after messing with it enough, it works (and when it works, it is actually driving splendidly). I am assuming that something is holding the choke mechanism down, but it is pretty hard to see under there.

Anything stupid that I need to watch when I put it back on, or is this just a quirk?

Note: If I leave the air cleaner assembly off and push the throttle, the butterfly will close as it is supposed to. The choke does technically work.
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Air-cleaner blocking choke?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 12:40:45 PM »
Perhaps a hose from the side is jamming the linkage? I know on some air-cleaners there is a trap on the front that closes off ALL air flow like a choke. Mine had a dead vacuum motor so I bent the linkage to keep it wide open. I have an older air-cleaner without that flap I'm putting on. It also doesn't have the AIR hose fittings so less emission crap is visible.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 01:01:02 PM »
Yeah, it is annoying.  I think it is a hose, but it seems like no matter where I put it, it takes a stroke of luck and patience to get it right again. No worries though. After I typed this post getting madder as I was typing, I got a hold of GRONK and bought one of his carbs.
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 12:48:09 AM »
Yup, I've had those hoses do that. Grabbing a handful of zip ties and tidying up seemed to help. Also making sure there was enough slack where need be in those hoses going to the air cleaner.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk