News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 14, 2024, 03:31:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: low range tcase shifter?  (Read 7976 times)

Offline anrkii

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
low range tcase shifter?
« on: September 04, 2012, 04:41:52 AM »
what kinds of shifters have yall tried for low range cases?
I dont want to cut a big slot in the floor for a universal lever,
I also bought a nineties chevy one but theres not enough room for it.

can I use a cherokee cable one? or maybe a push/pull arrangement with a rod thru the floor?

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: low range tcase shifter?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 05:18:34 AM »
I think AMC left a flat spot in the floor under the driver's seat on the right side near the front. I think some sort of Jeep shifter may work there.

correct. the lever is from a fullsize jeep.

Manitowoc WI

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 05:32:01 AM »
Depends on what case you are using.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 11:48:53 AM »
73 to 76 FSJs with optional low range (quadratrac) used an under dash shift cable, like a PTO unit used.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 10:06:10 PM »
I'm using the novak unit for my NP242.  It works okay.  I've had it for years. their new design looks a lot better than the one I have. 
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 02:11:01 PM »
I've had a NP242 for years but I never tackled the shifter problem. These are the options I know about:

1) Full size Jeep shift handle used with the NP219 in 1980 or 1981. The AMC Eagle prototypes did have a low range, so the floorpan was factory designed to accept the same lever as the Full Size Jeeps. I've heard of people using this setup with their NP219s, but I've never seen details or attempted it myself. I don't know if that handle will work for a NP242 because of the differences in range of motion.

2) The Novak cable shifter for NP242/231. It's designed to use the original XJ shift handle. I haven't bought one yet because I'm attempting option number 4 right now because if it works it will be about a third the price. The biggest reason the Novak option is so nice is that you can put the handle exactly where you want it.

3) Make your own cable shifter similar to the Novak kit. Realistically it isn't that hard to make your own shifter from scratch or random parts from a junkyard. I bet the XJ AW4 transmission linkages would provide a great cable for a custom shifter. In my case I plan on buying a Novak kit soon for my best Eagle and attempting to copy the shifter with cheaper materials for my future projects.

4) The Advanced Adaptor shift bracket. This bracket is designed for the NV3550, but should work in an Eagle. I've got one I'm about to attempt to install in the car I'm currently working on. A used handle from a Jeep YJ also has to be purchased to make this work. It cost me $20 for the used handle and the guy I bought it from has others in stock. The problem with this solution is that I won't know where it comes through the Eagle floorpan until I try installing one. In my case I'm not too worried about it because I'm drastically modifying the floorpan already for another reason.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/nv3550-shifter-bracket-for-jeep-np231-transfer-cases/
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline anrkii

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 03:08:22 PM »
I might try one of these:
they are on sale for 20$ and I wont have to whack a honkin huge hole for a factory style shifter.
Ill probably make a pivot arm that bolts to the trans and make a couple of rods up.

The only downside of the speedway motors shifter is theres no place to thread my miller high life tap on it! Oh well.

I looked at the yj and xj shifters, the yj one looks closer to the eagle floorpan shape, but I dont think its a perfect fit either way. Let me know what you find on that.

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 05:20:50 PM »
If someone could develop a complete kit with instructions he/she could probably sell a few on here. 
There was a time I would have bought one.
I wouldn't have cut a hole in the floor of the 88, but I would have the 83.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline j2sax

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 12:10:08 AM »
BTW, the under seat shifter levers for all the 80 and up FSJ' s are the same (the single Longer JTruck NP208 lever on the psngr side trans tunnel are the exception).  The only differences are the patterns printed on the Shifter Flags and the length of the shifter arm. 

You can use a rod and heim joints rather than the factory rod. 

You can also cut the arm in half, thread the middle ends, use a long coupler nut and lock nuts on either side so you can adjust the length. 

Offline anrkii

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 02:00:45 PM »
Heres what I did on that:

First thing youll ask, is why the heck is it gold? Because its the only color speedway motors had left of the $15 closeout shifters. Discount bling is the best kind.
I purchased a different transfer case lever and mounted it pointing up, stuck the shifter through the floor and made a linkage. I need to add a boot to it but Ill deal with that later.

Turned out ok. about $30 in parts

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 10:22:07 PM »
This looks like it could work well for me, and $16 is my kind of price. Thanks for posting, the install looks sweet!
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 11:16:24 PM »
Looks very nice!  Good work, and the price is right!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk