News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 10:05:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: stuck in 4x4?  (Read 2593 times)

Offline wampus_cat

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
stuck in 4x4?
« on: January 01, 2012, 06:08:11 PM »
I recently bought an 84 eagle wagon sport, with a shot rear end.  When I towed it, rear axle on car tote, the front tires dragged, and I had to put it in neutral.  I changed the rear end (out of an 85) and I had all 4 tires up, and started it and put it in gear, in 2wd, All 4 tires spun.  Why is it stuck in 4? or is this normal?

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Re: stuck in 4x4?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 07:36:42 PM »
where the front wheels spinning under power or just idling??  Sometimes there is enough friction to move those front wheels even though they are not engaged. 
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline wampus_cat

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Re: stuck in 4x4?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 08:22:27 PM »
both idling and with increased throttle