News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 09:04:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not in 4 Wheel  (Read 4593 times)

Offline Eagle Kammback

• Kenosha Cadillac
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 32
    • Car Crazy Central profile
Not in 4 Wheel
« on: November 20, 2011, 06:49:47 PM »
Well, she doesn't shift from inside, bad vac line I think, but enough to get it started.
so I put the Eagle in 4 wheel a couple weeks ago (we got snow!)
and then got underneath with my 15MM Wrench and put her in 4 wheel the rest of the way, but she isn't engaging, she's still just RWD right now.
I want to get this fixed before winter actually gets here, I'm running Radial T/As, and those ain't snow tires, not even close, so I really want to figure out what's wrong with her.
If the T-Case was bad, she wouldn't be driving at all, right?
MMN2 Burnett
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon Project
1979 AMX that will probably never run
1993 Jeep Cherokee (Rest in peace)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Not in 4 Wheel
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 07:03:41 PM »
Well, she doesn't shift from inside, bad vac line I think, but enough to get it started.
so I put the Eagle in 4 wheel a couple weeks ago (we got snow!)
and then got underneath with my 15MM Wrench and put her in 4 wheel the rest of the way, but she isn't engaging, she's still just RWD right now.
I want to get this fixed before winter actually gets here, I'm running Radial T/As, and those ain't snow tires, not even close, so I really want to figure out what's wrong with her.
If the T-Case was bad, she wouldn't be driving at all, right?

Are you sure you are going the right way with when you engage it manually?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 08:38:28 PM »
How do you know it isnt in 4wd after you switch it manually?

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 08:51:33 PM »
It's also easy to test in your yard (or the neighbor's).  Just push the skinny pedal all the way down from a standing start.  Good launch = 4wd, skid marks/angry neighbor = 2wd.
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 10:51:52 PM »
When I was having similar problems I raised the right front wheel off the ground and rolled the tire  both ways.  It was then easy to tell when it engaged.  I was underneath moving the lever with the wrench and rolling the tire with my foot.

I once had it on a lift in a shop.  That made it much easier.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 01:46:52 PM »
How do you know it isnt in 4wd after you switch it manually?

In snow? That's amazingly easy (and fun!) to figure out - it's the skinny pedal on the driver's side, far right ;D
It's also easy to test in your yard (or the neighbor's).  Just push the skinny pedal all the way down from a standing start.  Good launch = 4wd, skid marks/angry neighbor = 2wd.

I was more asking eagle kammback how he knew.
I know how I would test it :P

These methods may not be perfect though.  If the VC in the transfer case is shot, you may end up with just the rear wheels spinning even with it in 4wd.  (just like you could get a peg leg burnout with an open rear diff)

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 02:52:56 PM »
Yes, make sure the axle is engaged, or you can burn out the VC. You might want to get the car up on jacks and turn the wheels to see what's happening.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk